There was a time when grey hair represented wisdom and maturity and age… but now greying of hair has become a common phenomenon in youth. Men and Women of age even lesser than 30 are facing the issue of premature greying of hair or what they say ‘white hair’. Hair fall, Thinning of Hair, Baldness or Alopecia have become a common occurrence in modern-day lifestyle. Today I will discuss reasons why these problems occur in the first place and will suggest a natural hair treatment for Premature Grey Hair, Hair Loss, and Alopecia.
What causes premature grey hair?
Our hair gets colour from a pigment called melanin produced by the hair follicles. If hair starts losing its pigment, they will start turning grey. There are numerous reasons for grey hair, which are known, although even after years of medical research, one specific cause cannot be pinpointed.
These are a few common reasons for premature greying of hair:
1. Vitamin B12 Deficiency
3. Hormone Imbalance
4. Use of Shampoos with chemicals
Generally speaking, these days junk food and eating out has become a way of life for many of us, which leaves less scope for proper diet and nutrition.
Vitamin B12 – Why it’s needed for healthy hair?
One of the most common reasons for greying hair is homocysteine. Heard about that? Of course not! Homocysteine is a compound produced in your body when protein is broken down. It is a byproduct, so needs to be cleared from your system which is done by the body using Vitamin B12. Excess of homocysteine has been found to increase the risk of heart disease and stroke. Also, excessive homocysteine produces Hydrogen Peroxide, which has a bleaching effect on your hair.
So what are some of the pointers to know if you have Vitamin B12 deficiency?
1. You feel tired all the time even when you have not done too much physical work.
2. You have a foggy memory.
3. You feel disoriented and confused without any reason.
4. You are irritable and have frequent mood swings.
5. You have a tingling sensation in your hands and feet.
6. You feel depressed and are facing sleep difficulties.
7. Pernicious Anemia: A decrease in red blood cells happens when your body is unable to absorb enough Vitamin B12.
How is Stress related to grey hair?
Stress is a huge factor in greying of hair. You must have even heard stories about people whose hair turned completely white within a night’s time because of sudden stress.
According to an article in Huffington Post, A 2013 New York University study in Nature Magazine claims that the hormones produced by ongoing stress can deplete the melanocyte stem cells, which produce melanin, which determines your hair colour.
Genetics also play a sizeable role in premature greying of hair. If even one of your parents had started having grey hair in the early 30s, chances are you might start having the same symptoms around that age. There is nothing really you can do about genetics though.
Toxins From Hair Products
If your haircare routine consists of shampoos with Sulfates and Parabens, your hair will start thinning and turning grey.
Sulfates are detergent-like cleaning agents. They produce foam which gives you that squeaky clean feeling after shampooing your hair. Prolonged use of sulfates can create serious damage to scalp health. Since sulfate washes off all the natural oil and moisture from your scalp, it makes your hair dry and rough. It has been now discovered in recent studies that sulfates are the main reason for hair fall and thinning of hair.
Paraben is a preservative, which is used in shampoos and many other products to increase its shelf life. It is now known to cause allergic reactions on the scalp such as dermatitis and rosacea. It can also cause eye damage and blindness in children.
There are many options of sulfate and paraben-free shampoos available in the market but I will link a few later in this article for your ease.
You must have heard about different sort of hair growth oils, keratin hair treatments and whatnot. It’s true that some of them will help hair health but it is always best to treat your hair in a natural way.
Ayurvedic Natural Hair Treatment For Premature Grey Hair, Hair Loss, and Alopecia
Today I would like to share with you an ayurvedic treatment that I have seen results with. My friend, who is in his early 30s, has faced grey hair issue from past few years. I have used this treatment on him and the results are phenomenal.
There are 3 ways in which you treat your hair and scalp:
1. By having oral medication to eliminate deficiencies from your body.
2. By having topical medication like oiling your hair with good oil that promotes hair growth and returns moisture to your scalp.
3. By using toxin-free shampoo to wash your hair to remove dirt and pollution. The only caution you need to take here is to not wash your hair every day. This will damage your hair more than you think.
One of the safest medicines which you can use for greying of hair is Amalki Rasayana. You might have heard of this medicine before.
Amalki is derived from a Hindi word Amla which is the name for Indian gooseberry. Rasayana is a Sanskrit word which means rasa or essence. This medicine is the essence of Indian gooseberry. It is also very effective in anti-ageing treatments. It has a very complex preparation. I will not go into the detail of how it is prepared but if you are curious, just read the benefits and uses of Amalki Rasayana in this article.
Method of Taking Amalki Rasayana:
1. Normal or Oily Hair: In the morning as soon as you wake up, have a glass of water. Wait 10 mins and then take 1 small spoon fresh honey. Fresh honey means it should not be too old. Take half a spoon (tsp) of Amalki Rasayana and mix it with honey. You can take this mixture on an empty stomach twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening.
2. Rough and Dry Hair: Follow the same procedure as above, but in 1/4 tsp of Amalki Rasaya, instead of honey add 1/4 tsp of Cow Ghee ( I will link and the best type of cow ghee but you can use what you like). Also, add 1/4 Mishri. Mix well and take twice a day.
Note: After having this mixture, do not eat anything for at least 45 mins to 1 hour.
Bringraj is another Ayurvedic herb that is considered a miracle worker when it comes to issues related to hair like premature grey hair, hair loss, and alopecia. In any ayurvedic preparation for hair, you are sure to find it. Bringraj will fulfill Vitamin B12 and Keratin deficiency in the body. You will find both Bringraj in a powder form as well as in juice form. Its best to consume it as a juice but if you cannot find it easily, you can use it in juice form as well.
In the above preparation of Amalki Rasayana, add 1 tsp of Bringraj juice as well.
If you cannot find Bringraj juice, another method of having Brigraj would be to add 1/2 tsp of Bringraj powder in the above preparation of Amalki Rasayana and have it empty stomach in the morning as described above.
If you cannot find Bringraj powder or juice, you can also have Bringrajasav (Bringraj Syrup). The only thing is you might have to take it for a longer period for it to show proper results as it is a made with an alcoholic base.
Method to have Bringrajasav
Take 1 tsp and mix it with the same amount of water. Consume after 1 hour of eating your meal.
CAUTION: Amalki Rasayan is also used for detoxing your body so you will feel the urge to urinate more often. Drink more water to avoid dehydration.
In topical medication, you will take Anu Oil. Anu oil is a nasal oil that is used to treat hair fall, premature greying of hair and all ENT( Ear Nose Throat) diseases. It is also good if problems like twitching eyes, myopia, sinus, hearing loss, forgetfulness, migraine. I will be writing a detailed article about this in the future. Read in a detailed article by clicking here.
Method for using Anu Oil
According to Ayurveda, before using any sort of nasal drops follow this procedure
• Snehan: Massage your face in an upward direction, especially the nasal area. You can use sesame oil or coconut oil for it. Do it for 5 minutes for good results. This step is done to remove any blockages and provides lubrication to the nasal cavity.
• Swedan: After massaging your face, you heat up the nasal area. To do this, you can dip a towel in hot water and cover your nose with it. You can even use the steamers available in the market. Do not cover your eyes with it.
• Now lie down on the bed and make your head hang a little lower. Add 2 drops of Anu Oil in one nostril and take a deep breath. The oil will move to your throat.. which is completely fine, so no need to worry about that. Wait for 1 minute and do the same in the other nostril.
• Wait for 10 minutes and resume any work you are doing.
Use this oil once at any time of the day. You can use it oil for up to 2 months. If you want to use it for a longer period, it is advised to take proper consultation from an Ayurveda practitioner.
CAUTION: It is necessary to use the procedure above to get good results. Do not turn on the AC or fan when doing this procedure. Also, don’t do this procedure in rainy or extreme humid weather.
Another topical medication would be to use good hair oil. There are some therapeutic blends of herbs and oils available in the market for hair. I will come up with a list of best oils for hair soon but as of now, I will recommend a Khadi Oil that I have been using which has given me excellent results with Premature Grey Hair and Hair Loss. You can read a detailed review of the same here.
And last but not the least, here are my best picks for sulfate and paraben-free shampoos. You can use a DIY Shampoo that I use personally if you like .. but here are some of the ones that are safe for use in my opinion.
My Top Picks For Non-Toxic Chemical Free Natural Shampoos
1. Original & Mineral Hydrate & Conquer Shampoo
This is a shampoo made with completely natural ingredients and its ideal for dry hair especially.
Find it on amazon
For India, Find it here
2. The Moms Co. Natural Protein Shampoo
This shampoo is made from Hydrolyzed silk protein, wheat protein, and wheat root extract. These ingredients lock moisture in your hair preventing breakage. This shampoo is ideal for dry and damaged hair but also works well with all other hair types.
Find it on amazon
For India, Find it on amazon
3. Saach Organic Hair Strengthening Shampoo
This shampoo is one of my favourites as it is made with Ayurvedic Ingredients and makes hair shiny and soft. It contains herbs like hibiscus which are a boon to hair health. It also contains basil, almond oil and coconut milk which ensure your hair dry doesn’t become dry and breakage-prone.