Anu Thailam is an Ayurvedic oil used primarily in Nasya Ayurvedic treatment. It is used specifically for curing ear, nose, throat, eyes, face, head, brain and neck diseases.
Anu Thailam Uses
Anu Oil is not taken orally or topically rather, it is inserted into the nose depending on the dosage recommended by the physician according to the health problem. This is called Nasya Treatment in Ayurveda. First, the patient is given a gentle head and face massage. The head is then tilted back to make a 30-degree angle. Oil is instilled in both the nostrils drop by drop. When the oil is inserted, the patient is advised to close the other nostril with one finger and take a long breath. This makes the oil go down towards the throat along with the mucus. Stay in the same position for a few minutes. Now spit out the mucus collected in the throat as it is toxic. Rinse the throat and mouth with warm water.
Ayurvedic Nasal Oil – Anu Thailam Benefits
Anu Thailam is extremely beneficial for all kinds of ENT related issues. It balances all Vata, Pitta and Kapha doshas. Below are some of its benefits
- It improves eyesight and helps in relive eye-related diseases like cataract, myopia and hypermetropia. It is also used as a preventive medicine to keep the eyesight in sharp.
- It clears the swelling and inflammation in the throat and oral cavity and is advised in problems like Tonsillitis, Aphonia, Hoarseness of voice, Uvulitis. It strengthens and improves the voice quality.
- It improves the sense of smell. It eliminates inflammation in the nasal mucosa and mucous membrane. It is used for the treatment of sinusitis, sinus congestion, coryza, chronic coryza and catarrh.
- It strengthens the muscles, bones and joints of the face and around the shoulder. It helps to relieve symptoms of frozen shoulder, stiffness in the head and facial paralysis.
- It helps reduce neck, jaw stiffness and prevents cervical spondylitis.
- It also helps to cure premature greying hair, hair loss and baldness. It increases circulation in the head and increases hair growth. You can read this detailed article on using Anu Thailam if you are facing hair loss.
- It is highly beneficial for brain-related diseases like migraine, Parkinson’s disease, depression, memory loss, dementia, mental stress, poor concentration, seizers and lack of coordination. It stimulates the nerves in the brain and reduces nervous disorders. It successfully treats headaches as well.
Anu Thailam Dosage:
For preventive purposes, only 2 drops a day in each nostril.
For any other disease, 4 drops a day in each nostril or as directed by the physician.
For Nasya treatment, 5 to 10 drops a day in each nostril.
For any nasal drop to be effective, it is important to first perform, Snehan (massaging the face, nasal area and neck with sesame oil/coconut oil) and then Swedan (taking steam in the nasal area). For Swedan, you can keep a hot wet towel over your nasal area avoiding the eyes. If the congestion in your nose is too much, it is better to take steam using a machine. This clears up the congestion already present in the nasal cavity. Inserting any nasal drops will be effective after this process.
Ayurvedic Nasal Oil – Anu Thailam Ingredients
- Jivanti – Leptadenia Reticulata (Root)
- Hrivera – Pavonia Odorata (Root)
- Devadaru – Cedrus Deodara (Heart Wood)
- Musta – Cyperus Rotunus Linn, Nagarmotha (Rhizome)
- Twak – Cinnamon Usheera (Stem Bark)
- Ushira – Vetiveria Zizaniodes (Root)
- Sariva – Hemidesmus Indicus (Root)
- Sveta Chandana – Santalum Album (Heart Wood)
- Daru Harida – Berberis Aristata (Stem)
- Yasthimadhu – Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Root)
- Agaru – Aquilaria Agallocha (Heart Wood)
- Shatavari – Asparagus Racemosus (Tuber)
- Swetha Kamala – Nelumbium Speciosum (Flower)
- Bilwa – Aegle Marmelos (Stem Bark)
- Utpala – Nymphaea Stellata (Flower)
- Brhati – Solanum Indicum (Whole Plant)
- Kantakari – Solanum Xanthocarpum (Whole Plant)
- Surabhi/Rasna – Alpinia Galanga (Rhizome)
- Shalaparni – Desmodium Gangeticum (Whole Plant)
- Prishnaparni – Uraria Picta (Whole Plant)
- Vidanga – Embelia Ribes Burm (Fruit)
- Patra – Cinnamon (Leaf)
- Sukshma Ela – Elettaria Cardamomum, Cardamom (Fruit)
- Renuka – Vitex Negundo (Seed)
- Kamala kenara – Nelumbo Nucifera, Lotus (Androecium)
- Bala – Sida Cordifolia (Whole Plant)
- Tila talla – Sesamum Indicum, Sesame Oil
- Aja dunghda – Goat Milk
Preparation Of Anu Thailam
प्रािृट्शरद्वसवतेिु गतमेर्े नभस्तले|
नस्यकमघ यथाकालं यो यथोक्तं तनिेिते||५७||
न तस्य चिुनघ घ्राणं न श्रोत्रमुपहवयते|
न स्युः श्वेता न कवपलाः केशाः श्मश्रूखण िा पुनः||५८||
न च केशाः प्रमुच्यवते िधघवते च विशेितः|
मवयास्तम्भः सशरःशूलमहदघतं हनुसङ्ग्रहः||५९||
पीनसाधाघिभेदौ च सशरःकम्पश्च शाम्यतत|
ससराः सशरःकपालानां सवधयः स्नायुकण्डराः||६०||
नािनप्रीखणताश्चास्य लभवतेऽभयगधकं बलम्|
मुिं प्रसवनोपगचतं स्िरः न्स्ननधः न्स्थरो महान्||६१||
सिेन्वरयाणां िैमल्यं बलं भितत चागधकम्|
न चास्य रोगाः सहसा प्रभिवत्यूध्िघजत्रुजाः||६२||
All the herbs are boiled with oil and rain water (hundred times the quantity of oil), till only
10 times the oil is remaining. Finally, equal amount of goat’s milk is added.
Side Effects and Caution
- Use of anu thailam and jal neti should not be done together as it can make the nasal cavity cold and can lead to cough, cold and increase in symptoms of sinusitis.
- It is better to use anu thailam on an empty stomach as it may cause a feeling of nausea or vomiting on a full stomach in some people.
There are many good companies making anu thailam and it is easily available on the internet. Following are some of the best ones
Did you find this post useful? Would you like to get back to it later? Save THIS PIN below to your Pinterest Natural Medicine board!