Pinda thailam or Oil is a unique Ayurvedic medicated massage oil which is cooling in nature and reddish in color (due to one of its ingredients- Manjishtha). It has several uses and benefits which include alleviation of skin problems, joint pains, face fairness and even weight loss. Also, it has properties to reduce pain, redness, and swelling (together called Inflammation). Here is a detailed article to introduce you all to its uses, side effects, price and availability. First of all,
Pinda Thailam Ingredients- How it is prepared? :
- Madhuchhista – Honey bee wax – 280 g
- Manjishta – Rubia cordifolia – 455 g
- Sarjarasa – Resin of Vateria indica – 186 g
- Sariva – Hemidesmus indicus – 455 g
- Taila – Oil of Sesamum indicum – 6 liters
- Water – 24 liters
These ingredients are mixed heated together, till a desired moisture content is achieved. This is then filtered and preserved.
Manjshtha and Sariva are greatly beneficial in reducing Pitta.
How to Apply/ Use Pinda Thailam:
This Oil is meant to be applied topically i.e on skin externally and not in any other way. Gently warm the oil before applying for better absorption, 2-3 times a day and also before bedtime.
Not to be taken orally or injected. In case of accidental oral intake, consult the therapist as soon as possible.
Pinda Thailam Uses & Benefits:
- Mostly people with higher pitta (temperature) develop skin problems and so this oil is very beneficial for these people who frequently develop skin eruptions or rashes due to its cooling effect.
Burning Feet Syndrome and Parasthesias:
- Burning feet syndrome is quite an annoying skin problem in people with raised Pitta Dosha and this is benefitted by application of Pinda Thailam. Similarly its useful for skin paresthesias (like pin and needle sensations). It has 18% water content which allows the skin to breathe comfortably even while applying or massaging into the skin.
- This oil is also in talks lately due to its benefits in Weight Loss. This requires several massage therapy sessions with the oil over few months and has to be supplemented with appropriate quality and quantity of diet, meditation and yoga exercises (yogasnas) to achieve desired weight loss or else benefits may not be good enough, long-lasting and effective.
- Manjistha is a potent Anti-rheumatic herb and Sariva is a good muscle relaxant. Both of these qualities along with its anti-inflammatory nature make this oil a great pain reliever in cases of pounding pain in joints.
Gouty Arthritis / Gout:
- For people with Gouty pain, it is advised to apply this oil to the affected part before each bath. It can be used for long time periods without any significant side effects on the advice of a qualified therapist. Its ability to treat Urate crystals in Gouty joints is not proved but it provides symptomatic relief in Gout.
- Appropriate Yogasanas like Udvartana when done regularly with a cooling body massage of this oil, helps to improve the complexion of skin and facial fairness, reduces excessive sweating and body odor too.
- Burning sensation and itchiness which accompanies varicose veins get better with a very gentle application of this oil on the veins.
- Anti-aging benefits are largely attributed to this oil due to its capability to eliminate/ flush out harmful Toxins and enhance body’s immunity.
For Head Massage:
- Use of this oil for head massage:– Improves hair quality and texture.– Improves sleep in insomniacs.– Prevents premature hair greying in young age.– Relieves headache.– Calms and soothes the mind and relieves stress.
For Back Pain:
- In cases of back pain, it safely helps by reducing inflammation and averts the possibility of it converting to a Chronic Backache problem.
The oil becomes less effective after 3 yrs from the date of manufacture but it’s always better to use within one year of opening the seal for best effects.
There are no side effects of this oil. But caution must be served with pregnant women and children below 10yrs. Always consult a qualified therapist before starting the treatment.