Sukumaram Kashayam (Sanskrit name) – also known as Sukumar Kashaya (Hindi name) – is an Ayurvedic medicine available in the decoction liquid form or in the concentrated tablet form.
This all-powerful decoction has been mentioned in one of the ancient root texts of Ayurveda known as Ashtanga Hridayam. The Ashtanga Hridayam guides users in matters oh health and nutrition and is essentially written in a poetic form. Commonly, it is referred to as the “Heart/Essence of all the Eight Branches of Ayurveda” and rightly so.
Ayurvedic Properties of Sukumaram Kashayam
- Roga karma: Vidradi, gulma, arshas, yoniroga, medraroga, vatajarogas, shopha, udara, pliha, vibanda.
- Dosha karma: Vatakaphahara
- Agni karma: Deepana, pachana
- Other gunas: Kanthi, pustikara
Fun fact: Among the 7,000 species of medicinal plants in the world, around 1500 plants are used in the indigenous system of medicine, like Ayurveda, Unani and Siddha.
Sukumaram Kashayam: Ingredients
Generally, ayurvedic formulations are prepared by combining useful herbs and minerals. You’ll tend to find it in different forms such as decoctions, fresh juice, oil, vati, powder, clarified butter, or alcoholic preparation. In the case of Sukumaram Kashayam, it is available in the decoction form having been formulated with twenty-seven medicinal plants, namely:
- Punarnava – Boerhaavia diffusa
- Vilwa – Aegle marmelos
- Kasmari – Gmelina arborea
- Patala – Stereospermum Suaveolens
- Shyonaka – Oroxylum Indicum
- Agnimantha – Premna corymbosa
- Prishniparni – Desmodium Gangeticum
- Shalparni – Pseudarthria Viscida
- Kantakari – Solanum melongena
- Bhadra – Aerua lanata
- Gokshura – Tribulus Terrestris
- Payasya – Holostemma Annulare
- Ashwagandha – Withania somnifera
- Eranda – Ricinus communis
- Shatavari – Asparagus racemosus
- Darbha – Desmostachya bipinnata
- Kusa – Eragrostis cynosuroides
- Sara – Saccharum spontaneum
- Kasa – Imperata Cylindrica
- Ikshumoola – Saccharum officinarum (sugar cane root)
- Potagala – Sphearanthus hirtus
- Krishna – Piper longum (long pepper)
- Krishnamoola – Piper longum (root) (long pepper root)
- Yasthimadhu – Glycyrrhiza glabra
- Mridweeka – Vitis vinifera (dry grapes)
- Yavani – Cuminum cyminum
- Shunti – Zingiber officinale (ginger)
Steps to Make the Decoction
Take all the herbs in equal amount, grind it to a coarse powder, and soak in water overnight. Next day, add 8 parts of water and boil it to a fourth of the quantity. Strain it and consume while it is mildly warm.
Sukumaram Kashayam: Dosage
Liquid form: Mix 5 ml of the Kashayam with equal parts of water and consume before food.
Tablet form: Ideal for those who can be sensitive to a strong taste, the recommended dose is usually two tablets, twice a day, before food.
Important: Remember to consult your physician before consuming this herbal medicine in any form.
Sukumaram Kashayam Uses & Benefits
- Antioxidant: Sukumara Kashayam doubles up as a potent antioxidant which can be used to treat menstrual issues and gynaecological disorders such as dysmenorrhoea, female infertility, premenstrual syndrome, Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), ovarian cysts, uterine fibroids/tumours, and menstrual backache and pain.
- Chronic constipation, digestive, and stomach issues: It is very effective in treating constipation issues (flatulence, indigestion, intestinal spasm, and piles). In addition to these, it helps treat abdominal distension, acidity/heartburn, duodenal ulcer, irritable bowel syndrome, peptic ulcer, etc.
- Hernia: It also helps treat hernia.
It may be interesting to note that every ingredient addresses a key health concern. Let’s explore this in greater detail:
- Punarnava: Used as a Rasayana in Ayurveda, it helps to rejuvenate and heal the body. Furthermore, it comes with hepato-protective, immuno-modulatory, anti-cancer, anti-diabetic, hypoglycemic, anti-fibrinolytic, anti-inflammatory, diuretic, antibacterial, anti-oxidant, anti-asthmatic, and anticonvulsant properties.
- Vilwa: Vilva helps in the treatment of cancer as it is known to possess anti-cancer and chemo-preventive properties. Additionally, it can also be used to treat diarrhoea. It comes with anti-microbial, anti-viral, radioprotective, anti-pyretic, ulcer healing, anti-genotoxic, diuretic, anti-fertility, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Kasmari: It helps address toxicity issues and acts as an antioxidant while possessing anti-microbial, diuretic, cardioprotective, and analgesic effects.
- Patala: It comes with therapeutic effects and possesses renal -protective, anti-inflammatory, anti-hyper-glycemic, antioxidant, analgesic, and anti-pyretic properties.
- Syonaka: Another highly therapeutic plant, it helps treat inflammatory issues, gastric issues, and diabetes.
- Agnimantha: Primarily, it acts as a CNS depressant and has anti-tumour properties.
- Prishniparni: It comes with anti-leishmanial, immune-modulatory, cardioprotective, anti-ulcer, hepatoprotective, and adrenal-protective properties.
- Saliparni / Salaparni: This plant has activities like anti-diabetic, anti-oxidant, and anti-cancer.
- Bhadra: It helps treat renal issues, tumour-centric diseases and diabetes.
- Gokshura / Gokhru: It is used for body-building, to relieve the uro-genital system, and also comes with aphrodisiac properties.
- Kantakari: It is used to treat inflammatory conditions, cardiac-debility, nose ulcers, cholera, bronchitis, and asthma.
- Payasya: It helps regulate the bowels, cures ulcers, aids in blood diseases, and treats worms. It can also help in itching-related issues and can treat diabetes, cough, and gonorrhoea.
- Ashwagandha: It can help in the treatment of cancer and addresses stress-related issues. It also acts as an anti-oxidant and helps induce sleep. Additionally, it also is known to be effective in memory-related conditions and insomnia.
- Eranda: The oil is used as a purgative for children. It also helps treat diabetes and heal wounds.
- Shatavari: It helps to enhance your memory and protects against amnesia. It also acts as an effective aphrodisiac and diuretic. Additionally, it is known as a versatile female tonic.
- Darbha: It comes with antihyperglycemic effect, anti-ulcerogenic, antipyretic, anti-inflammatory activities, anti-diarrhoeal, and antifungal activities.
- Sara: It possesses laxative and aphrodisiac properties, and is useful in cases of burning sensations, strangury, phthisis, vesical calculi, blood diseases, biliousness, haemorrhagic diathesis, and dyspepsia.
- Kasa: It addresses anti-hypertensive and anti-bacterial activities.
- Sugar Cane: Used in combination with other plants, sugarcane juice has diuretic properties. It is also used as an aphrodisiac and laxative and has cooling, demulcent, antiseptic, and tonic effects.
- Potagala: It can help treat ulcers, act as an immune stimulant, and comes with anti-microbial properties.
- Krishna (long pepper): It comes with anti-cancer, antioxidant, hepatoprotective, anti-inflammatory, immune-modulatory, antimicrobial, antiplatelet, anti-hyperlipidemic, analgesic, anti-depressant, anti-amoebic, and vasodilatory properties. It also aids in weight loss.
- Yasthimadhu / Mulethi / Licorice: In addition to possessing anti-oxidant and anti-bacterial properties, it can help enhance your memory and stimulate your immune system. It also has hepato-protective, anti-cancer, and anticoagulant properties.
- Mridweeka(dry grapes): Grapes are known to be cardio-protective and vaso-protective, and can help avoid atherosclerosis, platelet aggregation, and stenosis.
- Yavani: This ingredient comes with anti-diabetic, anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties. It also aids in male anti-fertility, memory-enhancing, and anti-stress effects.
- Shunti(ginger): One of the most common household medicines, it can be used to fight common cold, cough, and indigestion. Additionally, ginger also helps control vomiting and nausea during pregnancy and regulates blood pressure by blocking calcium channels.
Sukumaram Kashayam Side Effects
It does not have any reported side-effects. However, special care must be taken to see if you’re allergic to any of the ingredients. Do remember to consult your physician before consuming it.
Sukumaram Kashayam Price & Online
The Sukumaram Kashayam’s price typically ranges between Rs. 100-140. Some of the more famous brands house it such as sukumaram kashayam Patanjali, kairali, vaidyaratnam, sukumaram kwath tablet from Kerela Ayurveda etc.
Buy this herbal potion today and address your issues from the roots – that too, following the proper Ayurvedic philosophy and protocols.