Abhayarishtam (Sanskrit name) or Abhayarishta (Hindi name) is one of the most common Ayurvedic medicines formulated by our ancient Rishis and has been mentioned in the Ayurvedic texts – Bhashajya Ratnavali and Ashtanga Hridayam. Arishtams are aqueous remedies formulated in Ayurvedic medicine. Popularly considered to be a “miracle potion,” Abhayarishta is primarily used for treating constipation and haemorrhoids.
Abhayarishtam Key Ingredients
This poly-herbal decoction is made by fermenting herbs in jaggery which act as natural yeast. Additionally, the ingredients contain around 5-7% self-generated alcohol. It also constitutes fruits, roots, leaves of various herbs, namely:
- Abhaya (Haritaki – Terminalia chebula)
- Draksha (Dry grapes)
- Vidanga (Embelia ribes)
- Madhuka (Madhuca indica)
- Gokshura (Tribulus Terrestris)
- Trivrit (Operculina turpethum)
- Dhanyaka (Coriander)
- Dhataki (Woodfordia fruticosa)
- Indravaruni (Citrullus Colocynthis)
- Chavya (Piper retrofractum)
- Mishreya (Foeniculum vulgare)
- Shunti (ginger)
- Danti (Baliospermum montanum)
- Mocharasa (Salmalia malabarica)
How to Make this Decoction?
The first five ingredients (in part 1) are ground into a coarse powder. Then, water is added to it and this mixture is boiled and reduced to a fourth of the quantity. It is then strained and mixed with melted jaggery.
Rest of the ingredients (in part 2) are added to it and kept in an air-tight container to kick start the process of fermentation. Once fermentation is complete (typically takes a month), it is strained and transferred to another clean air-tight container.
Abhayarishta Syrup Dosage & Uses
Adults: 30 ml per day in divided doses (minimum dosage); 60 ml per day in divided doses (maximum dosage)
Children: 0.5 ml (minimum dosage); 10 ml (maximum dosage)
Alternatively, you can take 12-24 ml of the syrup, once or twice a day, or as recommended by a physician. Ideally, consume after eating your food. If you feel the taste is too concentrated, you can add equal amounts of water just before consuming it. Note that it can be given to children above three years of age in lower doses. You should be able to see noticeable results in 1-2 weeks.
According to Nityanandam Shree, take 3 teaspoons Abhayarishta and 3-6 teaspoons water after food twice a day (lunch and dinner). It helps release gastric problems and aids in digestive strength. You can also take Kumarayasava along with it for increased effectiveness. You can take it long-term (consume 2-3 bottles) after consulting your physician.
Important: Before taking this herbal decoction, make sure to consult your doctor for any perceived side-effects. Also, the recommended dosage will differ according to the age of the user, so make sure to understand how much syrup should be consumed basis your age, body type, etc. Lastly, it is bitter in taste so prepare yourself mentally before consuming it.
Abhayarishta Medicinal Properties
Abhayarishta Nutritional Benefits
This ayurvedic tonic contains phytochemicals, gallic acid, flavonoids, B-Sitosterol, fructose, tannins, and terpinene.
Abhayarishtam Multi-Purpose Benefits
Abhayarishta’s primary ingredient – Haritaki (Harray or Abhaya) – is sacred to Lord Shiva and helps rejuvenate and tone the intestines, while reducing gas and cramp-related stomach issues. Additionally, it acts as a digestive stimulant, promotes appropriate peristaltic movements of the intestine, and aids in proper defecation.
- Abhayarishta for piles/haemorrhoids: Helpful to reduce hard stools in piles and anal fissures as it removes pressure from the lower intestine and reduces swelling in the rectal veins. It also relieves constipation – one of the most common causes of haemorrhoids. Note that Triphala Guggulu is often administered with Abhayarishta for increased effectiveness in the case of haemorrhoids. Additionally, for people suffering from bleeding piles, they can take it with Arshoghni Vati whereas, people suffering from non-bleeding piles can take it with Kankayan Gutika.
- Constipation (Vibandha): Useful to treat mild to moderate constipation as it improves bowel movement. In case you’re using it to relieve yourself of constipation issues, make sure to combine fibre-rich foods in your diet along with having warm water before bed-time. Alternatively, you can also consume cow’s ghee or almond oil along with warm water/milk 30 minutes prior to consuming Abhayarishta.
- Stomach/digestive issues: It increases digestive fire and bile, and relieves the user of gastric problems, GERD, flatulence, abdominal distension, diarrhoea, colitis, and intestinal infestation of parasites while detoxifying the intestines.
- Appetite: It aids in increasing appetite and improving digestion.
- Urinary problems: People suffering from difficulty to urinate (dysuria) can also take it.
- Obesity: It aids in weight loss.
- Heart diseases
- Splenic disorders
- Abdominal tumours: Phantom tumour)
- Ascites: (enlargement of the abdomen)
- Skin diseases: Such as leprosy, leucoderma, freckles.
- Cough & asthma
- Fever & vomiting
- Liver function: Helps increase bile production in the liver, thereby enhancing liver function. It is also useful in cases of increased liver and spleen.
Interesting fact: According to the “Parikartika: Case Study” published in the International Journal of Research, Abhayarishta was proven to be effective in the treatment of constipation.
Abhayarishtam Side-Effects & Precautionary Measures
- Ensure not to consume during pregnancy as it contains colocynth which can cause abortion.
- Lactating mothers can take it after consulting their doctor.
- Accidental overdose should be avoided. A dose higher than 50 ml can cause loose motions and stomach ache.
- Avoid mixing with other types of medicines (Allopathic, Homeopathic, etc.)
- People suffering from diabetes should keep an eye on their blood sugar levels as Abhayarishta can alter it.
- In some cases, it can cause drowsiness, dizziness, hypotension, or a headache.
If you’re looking to strengthen your digestive system or treat piles/constipation, Abhayarishta should be your go-to Ayurvedic medicine. It is safe and super-effective, try it to see for yourself.
Did you find this post useful? Would you like to get back to it later? Save THIS PIN below to your Pinterest Natural Living, Health or Ayurveda board!