Kali jeeri, methi and ajwain powder is a magic mixture. This mixture has health benefits for weight loss, diabetes, pms and many more and is used as a home remedy in many Indian households. The mixture is combination of medicinal ingredients:
- Kali jeeri (Purple Fleabane)
- Methi (Fenugreek Seeds)
- Ajwain (Bishop’s Seeds)
Kali Jeeri / Purple Fleabane
Kali jeeri is obtained from an herb named Centratherum Anthelminticum. The seeds of the Centratherum Anthelminticum plant are known as kali jeeri. It features a wide selection of therapeutic indication in Ayurvedic medicines.
Methika / Fenugreek Seeds
Methi is an herb with small white flowers and light green leaves. It is largely cultivated in Middle East, North Africa, India. It is an essential part of Indian species. The dried ground seeds and dried leaves of fenugreek (Kasuri methi) are the most commonly used parts. It is used to enhance the taste of the food and has preventive health benefits.
Raw fenugreek has a bitter taste however; they offer a more pleasant taste when cooked. In food it is used as a spice and a flavouring agent. It also has medicinal benefits to prevent various diseases.
Trigonella Foenum- Graecum
Ajwain / Bishop’s Weed
Ajwain is an Indian spice and is commonly used as a home remedy for various ailments. It provides flavour and fragrance to food recipes. It is a member of parsley family. Ajwain seeds are added after cooking at final stage as it contains volatile oil easily destroyed by heat.
Carom seeds, Bishop’s weed
Kali jeeri, methi and ajwain powder can be purchased online or from a nearby local store as it is an easily available mix. It can also be made at home, since old time women have been making this magic powder at home. Ajwain and methi are easily available but kali jeeri can only be purchased from Ayurvedic store. Steps to make this powder at home:
1. Take following ingredients in the below mentioned quantities:
- Kali jeeri (Purple Fleabane) 50gm
- Ajwain (Bishop’s seeds) 100gms
- Methi (Fenugreek seeds) 250gms. The ratio of kali jeeri, methi and ajwain should be 1:5:2.
- 3 tablespoons dry Ginger powder (sonth)
- 2 tablespoons hing (asafoetida)
2. Clean all the ingredients through sieve or/ and by handpicking. Remove any unwanted material such as twig and stones. Usually it is clean but to be extra sure do a quick check.
3. Take a pan with thick base to avoid burning and overcooking. Roast all the ingredients separately on low flame until it turns to light brown and starts to release oils (when you smell the aromas). Approximate time for the herbs to cook is:
a. Kali jeeri approx 60 seconds
b. Methi approx 90 seconds
c. Ajwain approx 120 seconds
4. Grind all the ingredients separately then mix the powder and store in an air tight container in a cool place for future use.
Recommended Usage & Dosage:
Recommended dosage is 1 teaspoon before going to bed. The powder can be consumed with:
- 250ml of luke warm water.
- You can also take the powder with curd or buttermilk rather than water.
To get best results consume this powder for at least 90 days.
- Don’t consume anything after having the mixutre.
- Avoid meat as it will take more time for the medicine to work.
- Refrain from consuming Gutka/ tambaku.
Properties Of Kali Jeeri, Methi And Ajwain Mixture
- Wound healing
- Anti diabetic
Multifaced Health Benefits
Powder contains bioactive constituents like saponins, anthocyanins, flavonoids, diterpenes, triterpenes and other phytochemicals. Ajwain increases metabolism and burns fat. Methi & kali jeeri are used as powerful supplements which help metabolise body fat. It breaks down the fat cells and cleans the blood. All three herbs contain good amount of dietary fiber which keeps you fuller for longer.
Hair Loss & Greying Of Hair
All of those who know of natural remedies must have heard about methi dana being considered a great remedy for hair growth and premature greying. Some people also prepare oils with fenugreek seeds to stop hair fall & dandruff.
It contains antifungal and antibacterial properties which reduce dandruff and also bring new hair growth. Its antioxidant properties along with Vitamin A, B1 & C, reduce greying of hair significantly & increase shine, luster & protect from pollution and free radicals.
Ajwain seeds also contains antioxidant properties which help in controlling grey hair.
It is helpful in getting rid of dirt from the skin. It contains antioxidant and antibacterial properties. Kali jeeri has been used from ancient times in Chinese medicine to treat skin conditions such as eczema, vitiligo, leucoderma & psoriasis.
Fenugreek in powder produces a protective effect on the skin and soothes skin inflammation and reduces acne by controlling the damaging effects of dust, sun rays and other pollutants. You can read here to find out how to use it for facial skin related issues.
Kali jeeri in the powder is also useful in treatment of worm infection. It is effective against intestinal worm and parasitic infestation within the human. It gives good results against roundworm and tapeworm infestation due to potent anthelmintic action against these worm species.
Ajwain can help stop the growth of all type of intestinal worms but, studies shows it is most effective in hookworm infestation.
Diabetes : Controls Sugar Level
It corrects insulin resistance by inhibiting either fructose absorption within the intestines or triglycerides synthesis within the liver. It enhances the receptor sensitivity for insulin, and correcting carbohydrate utilization within the body cells.
Methi possess strong anti-diabetic properties and can help control blood sugar levels in patients with type-1 and type-2 diabetes. Due to galactomannan a soluble fibre present in the seeds which slows the absorption of carbohydrates into blood and hence, preventing rapid increase in blood sugar levels. Diosgenin, present in fenugreek improves glucose metabolism.
The high fiber content of ajwain seeds also help stablize blood sugar. Kali jeeri stimulates the pancreatic cells to produce more insulin.
Constipation, bloating, belching and intestinal gas can be treated with this powder. As kali jeeri has an effective impact on stomach related problems. This herb has potent carminative, anti flatulent and antispasmodic actions.
Fenugreek gives strength to the intestinal wall. It also increases the peristaltic movement which eases the movement of food in oesophagus, stomach and small intestines.
Ajwain combined with the two herbs precludes gas formation and eliminates gas formation.
Gastroesophageal Reflux And Gas
Undigested food is the main reason for gas in abdomen as the bacteria produce gas while digesting the indigested food in colon. High amount of mucilage in fenugreek aids in relieving heartburn by coating the inner lining of stomach and intestine. A study found that only two weeks of consumption of fenugreek alone twice a day diminished heartburn severly.
Ajwain is also specially beneficial for gas and bloating. Thymol present in carom seeds helps stimulate the gastric juices in the stomach. It is a good idea for eat a handful of carom seeds with kala namak (black salt) after a heavy meal to ease digestion.
If you are suffering from long standing joint pain, this mixture will help you reduce the pain significantly. Joint pains are aggravated due to access vata accumulation. Methi seeds are extremely helpful in clearing out the vata from joints area.
PMS & Menstrual Discomfort
The phytochemical compounds in fenugreek seeds like Isoflavones and Diosgenin possess estrogen-like properties, which help in reducing discomfort and menstrual cramps within the women affected by PMS.
Possible Side effects
It has no negative impact when consumed in moderate quantities but few side effects can be observed if it is consumed in high quantities.
- Abdominal cramps
People allergic to any of the ingredients should refrain from consuming the powder. When one does not know about the allergies and consumes the powder following symptoms should be considered as a sign of allergic reaction:
Swelling in the tongue
Inclination of mouth
Flush around the lips
Precautions: Following precautions should be taken while consuming the powder:
- Pregnant women should not consume this powder. Methi in powder can increase the risk of premature childbirth and miscarriage in the first and second trimester when consumed in high dosage. Kali jeeri in the powder may cause diarrhoea and induce uterine contractions. Therefore, it should be avoided at all costs during pregnancy.
- Breastfeeding mothers can consume but in small quantities. Ajwain in the powder increases breast milk. Methi in controlled quantities not more than 6 gms per day. Kali jeeri is safe during lactation and is generally recommended for improving quality of milk. But dosage should not exceed 1 gm per day. So, half teaspoon of this powder should be consumed.
- Should not consume more than one teaspoon a day. For better results take one teaspoon daily for 90 days (3 months).
- While preparing the mixture at home keep in mind the ratio of kali jeeri, methi and ajwain. It should be in 1:5:2
Take with warm water and do not eat anything after taking it.
Did you find this post useful? Would you like to get back to it later? Save THIS PIN below to your Pinterest Natural Living or Ayurveda board!