Chandanasava or Chandanasavam is a potent herbal formula which is used to effectively treat urinary and urogenital disorders. What most people don’t know is that Chandanasava is an Ayurvedic wine preparation. It contains 5-10% of self-generated alcohol. However, it is safe for consumption. Chandana (sandalwood) and Asava (sweetening agent) are the primary ingredients in Chandanasava. Chandana has a cooling effect and balances the body heat.
Chandanasava is prescribed in combination with other drugs to combat indigestion and male reproductive disorders. It has a wide range of antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. The source of all this ancient wisdom is the Vedas and the divine books of knowledge written by spiritual rishis in India. According to Sharangdhara Samhita, Chandanasava is especially useful for people having oily skin since it dries up the sebum. Recent studies have suggested that Chandanasava can also be used to gain strength and stamina and improve heart health naturally.
Chandanasava contains several herbs. The below mentioned natural ingredients are stored in an airtight vessel for a month and later undergo distillation to extract the medicine.
Safed Chandan – White Sandalwood (Heart Wood)
Padmaka – Wild Himalayan Cherry (Heart Wood)
Lal Chandan – Red Sandalwood (Heart Wood)
Gambhari – Beech Wood (Stem Bark and Root)
Neel Kamal – Blue Water Lily (Flower)
Patola -Pointed Gourd (Leaf)
Amratvark – Mango (Bark)
Pippali – Long Pepper (Fruit)
Draksha – Dry Grapes (Fruit)
Dhataki – Fire Flame Bush (Flower)
Patha – Pata (Root)
Netrabala – Fragrant Sticky Mellow
Nagarmotha – Nut Grass
Priyangu – Beautyberry
Lodhra – Symplocos Tree
Manjistha – Indian Madder
Bargard – Banyan
Mochras – Silk Cotton
Gur – Jaggery
Sharkara – Sugar Candy
Usually, in an Asava, one sweetening agent is used. But in Chandanasava, two sweetening agents are used: sugar candy and jaggery. To manufacture Chandanasava, both jaggery and sugar candy is filtered and dissolved in water. The rest of the ingredients are powdered and then added to this mixture. The concoction is then transferred to a vessel. The self-generated alcohol is filtered and packaged in airtight containers for use.
Chandanasava is manufactured by Baidyanath, Dabur, AVP and Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala. It can be purchased from the local vendor at a nominal cost of INR 100. You can take 15-25 ml of the formula after meals twice a day. Mix it with equal parts water if the taste is intolerable. It is usually prescribed for 1-2 months. It is safe to use Chandanasava for 3-4 months without a break. The appropriate dose, however, depends on an individual’s health, age and other factors. Therefore, make sure to consult an Ayurvedic physician before taking this medicine. Self-medication can have adverse reactions.
Chandanasava has a range of medical and culinary benefits. The prominent ones are listed below:
1. Chandanasava is used to cure spermatorrhoea and burning micturition. The former is a sexual disorder which is characterised by excessive, involuntary ejaculation. It has a series of damaging effects on the body like body ache, headache, diarrhoea, weakness and insomnia, to name a few. Burning Micturition, on the other hand, is associated with discomfort when urinating. Chandanasava reduces the pus cells in the urine and prevents the recurrence of UTI.
2. You can incorporate Chandanasava into your daily routine to strengthen your heart naturally. Rich in antioxidants, Chandanasava improves the heart rhythm and oxygen utilisation and catalyses the healing process of cardiovascular illnesses.
3. Chandanasava can treat and prevent gastro-oesophageal reflux, loss of appetite, constipation, gas, bloating, diarrhoea and stomach cramps. Cyperus Rotundus, the herb found in the medicine, increases appetite and reduces high stomach acid levels.
4. Red and White sandalwood, two of the primary ingredients in Chandanasava, have cooling properties which help in combating side effects of female menopause such as hot flushes, night sweats and burning sensation. Chandanasava can also be taken to abate the burning sensation associated with fever.
5. Chandanasava can significantly improve your strength and immunity. The antioxidants in the formula help increase the white blood cell count in the body and keep infections at bay.
6. Ayurvedic physicians are known to prescribe Chandanasava for abating the burning sensation following laser therapy and radiotherapy.
Chandanasava is a multi-purpose formula. Here are few of its uses:
1. For Leukocytospermia: Take 20 ml of Chandanasava along with 3 grams of Triphala Churan, 1 gram of Chandraprabha Vati and 125 mg of Chandi Bhasma twice daily for six weeks to improve male fertility.
2. For Chronic Kidney Failure: Take 10-20 ml of Chandanasava along with Chandraprabha Vati and Avipattikar Churan twice daily, or as prescribed by the doctor, to reduce serum uric acid levels, serum creatinine and prevent chronic kidney failure. If you have abdominal pain or tenderness, skip Avipattikar Churan.
3. For Renal Calculi: Take 15-20 ml of 20 ml of Chandanasava along with Hajrul Yahood Bhasma, Chandraprabha Vati and Gokshuradi Guggul to dissolve stones in the kidneys or bladder and prevent further stone formation.
Chandanasava Side Effects
If you’re diabetic, take Chandanasava within the limits prescribed by the doctor since it contains sugar candy and jaggery. Don’t forget to keep a check on your blood glucose level. It is safe for children above 7 years of age to take a lower dose of the formula, preferably 5 to 10 ml twice daily, with an equal amount of water. The safe limit of consumption of Chandanasava for adults is 60 ml. It is crucial to divide the dose over the span of a day. Pregnant and lactating women should avoid this medicine unless directed by the physician.
Did you find this post useful? Would you like to get back to it later? Save THIS PIN below to your Pinterest Natural Medicine board!