Arjuna Herb comes from Arjun Tree which is also known by names Terminalia Arjuna (botanical name), White Marudah (English name), Arjun(Hindi name). Arjun Tree is considered a boon for cardiovascular health in Ayurveda and has been used in ancient India for more than 1000 years. The bark of Arjuna Tree also popularly known as Arjuna Chaal (means skin in Hindi), is used in the form of a herb to cure many diseases related to the heart.
Arjuna Tree Appearance
Arjuna Tree is native to India but is now also grown in Srilanka and Myanmar. It grows in a pleasant and mild climate and it is perennial. It is a large and dense tree with cone-shaped leaves. When its bark is cut, it gives a white milky substance. The bark is used in fresh white form as well as a dried form which is then made into a coarse powder and is brown in colour. Refer to the image above for how the tree looks.
Arjuna For Heart – Benefits
1. Arjuna Chaal strengthens the heart muscles and helps improve its functioning.
2. It improves the pumping action of the left ventricle.
3. It is extremely beneficial in problems like An Irregular Heart Beat, Arrhythmia, Angina Pain, Chest Pain, Heart Blockage, Myocardial Infarction, Coronary Artery Diseases, Heart Leakage, Heart Failure.
Regular use of Arjuna after a heart attack, helps the patient recover and can also prevent further attacks.
4. It works well to reduce cholesterol levels in the blood. Arjuna is high in coenzyme Q10 which is responsible for the prevention of heart failure. Q10 coenzyme is responsible for transportation of energy to the organs. Due to old age, the Q10 levels start depleting in the body, which increases the cholesterol levels in the blood creating blockages in the arteries.
Arjuna increases HDL Cholesterol and reduces LDL Cholesterol. It also improves the exclusion of Cholesterol from the body.
5. Arjuna is also used as a natural blood thinner and a Hypolipidemic. Due to high cholesterol content in the blood, it becomes thick and cannot pass through the arteries, if a patient is already suffering from heart blockage. In this situation, blood thinners are given to the patient for easy passage of blood. Arjuna works extremely well as a natural blood thinner.
Arjuna Herb Other Health Benefits
1. Arjuna is a Kapha eliminating herb hence it can be used in cough, cold, sneezing and sinus.
2. Arjuna is also a Pitta pacifying herb. It is cooling in nature is also helpful in reducing aggravated pitta and ailments related to it.
3. It can also be used in treating fatty liver. Regular usage of Arjuna herb, especially Arjuna Tea (refer to the method below of preparation), cures fatty liver by removing excess fat accumulation around the liver. It is also extremely beneficial in Liver Cirrhosis / Liver Damage.
4. Arjuna is hypotensive. Hypotensive means ‘high or low blood pressure’. Arjuna is very helpful in both high and low blood pressure. It can be used to maintain normal blood pressure.
5. Recent research has revealed that oral administration of ethanolic extract of Arjuna bark resulted in a significant decrease in blood glucose. Arjuna bark contains antidiabetic properties. Refer to the article here for details.
6. It is also great for people with weak bones. It is high in Calcium and Magnesium which are both minerals necessary for healthy bones. Arjuna Tea promotes the union of broken bones and is useful in the healing of bone fractures.
7. Arjuna is also considered to have homeostatic potential. Homeostasis is the state of steady internal conditions maintained by living things. This dynamic state of equilibrium is the condition of optimal functioning of the organism and includes many variables, such as body temperature and fluid balance, being kept within certain pre-set limits (homeostatic range).
8. Terminalia Arjuna has astringent effects. It is used to heal wounds faster and prevents blood loss. The astringent nature of the herb is also beneficial in Piles, Dysentery, UTI and Diarrhea with blood.
Arjuna Tea – Arjun Ki Chaal Chai – Arjun Ksheer Paka
Arjuna Tea is the most common preparation that can be used on a regular basis by patients at home. It is also known as Arjun Ksheer Paka as it is prepared through Ayurveda’s Ksheer Paka Vidhi. Ksheer means Milk, Paka means boil in Sanskrit and Vidhi means method. It is a method of boiling the herb with milk.
Arjuna Tea can be used for all health problems mentioned above but is especially useful for menstrual disorders and fractures.
How to Prepare – Arjuna Tea (Arjun Chaal Chai)
1. Arjuna Chaal – Buy full clean bark. Shouldn’t be old and must be consumed within 4 to 5 months of purchase. Avoid purchasing dirty (sometimes it develops a web around it) and cheap bark as it may not give the desired effects.
2. 1/2 Cup Milk (Cow Milk Only – Heart patients should have only cow milk)
3. 1 Cup Water
1. Grind Arjuna Herb in a mortar till it becomes a coarse powder.
2. Soak 1sp of the powder in 1 cup water for 1 hour before you want to make the tea.
3. Boil it in a mud, steel or brass (peetal) utensil on low heat. Don’t use copper (tamba) or aluminum utensil. After some time when only half water is left, add 1/2 cup cow milk.
4. Boil again till half of this tea remains. Close the heat and filter the tea. Squeeze the powder and throw it. Add some honey for taste if you would like. You can also use brown sugar if you don’t like honey but stay away from white sugar.
When and for how long can you drink Arjuna Tea?
Take it 1/2 hour after breakfast. Don’t take it at night because it is Kapha nashaka. All Kapha nashaka medicines should be taken in the morning.
Drink for 2 – 3 months. You can also take it lifelong 3 – 4 times a week.
Side Effects of Arjuna Herb (Arjun Ki Chaal Side Effects)
1. Arjuna is considered a bit hot in temperament. If you have issues related to excess pitta like heat in liver, rashes, eczema, dermatitis etc or if the weather is hot, you should add 25 gm of White Sandalwood Powder for every 100gm of Arjuna. While purchasing sandalwood powder, be sure to purchase a good quality product as many times you will see cheap and fake sandalwood in the market as it is an expensive wood.
2. Ingesting Arjuna powder without combining it something else may cause constipation or flatulence. It is best to take it in the form of tea or as directed by an Ayurvedic practitioner.
Other Ayurvedic Formulations of Arjuna Terminalia:
Arjunarishtha, Arjunakhsirpak, Arjunghruta