According to the World Health Organization, over 70% of all deaths worldwide have been attributed to non-communicable diseases such as diabetes, cancer, and heart issues – with 15 million people dying prematurely (ages 30-69). These numbers sure paint a scary picture but Ayurveda can come to your rescue. If you’re looking for an all-natural heart tonic that works to treat respiratory issues too, Arjunarishta is for you. In fact, Arjunarishta’s benefits have been scientifically proven. According to research, it offers anti-hyperglycemic and anti-hyperlipidemic properties.
Made from Terminalia Arjuna, this cardiotonic belongs to the Combretaceae family of plants and is undoubtedly one of the most powerful Ayurvedic medicines for your heart. It is also commonly known as Parthadyarishta. Let’s look at its all-powerful ingredients and multi-dimensional benefits in greater details now:
“Ayurveda is not just about nutrition or herbology, it has a unique tool for diagnosis, diagnosis of understanding the human constitution is different from person to person. Each one has a unique metabolic system.” –
Arjunarishta’s Amazing Top-5 Ingredients: An Overview
Arjunarishta is made from the bark of the Arjuna tree. Acharya Nityanandam Shree talks about the various benefits of the Arjuna bark in this video. He claims: “Just like how a snake sheds off his skin from time-to-time, the Arjuna tree too sheds small pieces of the wooden bark which can prove to be extremely beneficial for us humans. It strengthens the nerves and boosts the heart’s functioning.”
That said, let’s look at the various ingredients that collectively come together to form this super-useful herbal medicine we call ‘Arjunarishta.’ Note that this medicine is prepared using natural fermentation methods with the following ingredients:
- Arjuna Tvak (Terminalia Arjuna): The part used is the stem bark in the quantity of 4.8 kg. Comprising of bioactive constituents, this bark stimulates optimal cardiovascular health.
- Mrudvika (Dry grapes): This fruit is used in the quantity of 2.4 kg. It aids in relieving constipation, hypertension, high blood sugar levels, anaemia, fever, among others. It is useful for anorexia and hinders the growth of free radicals, which can delay and even prevent the occurrence of cancer.
- Madhuka (Madhuca Indica): The flower is used in the quantity of 960 gm. It prevents excessive bleeding and helps remove catarrhal matter as well as phlegm from the bronchial tubes.
- Dhataki (Woodfodia Fruticosa): The part that’s typically used is the flower in the quantity of 960 gm. Dhataki comes in handy for treating diarrhoea, piles, and dysentery, owing to its astringent qualities. Additionally, the flowers and roots of this herb help to treat rheumatism, lumbar and rib fractures, as well as oral diseases.
- Guda (Jaggery): Used in the quantity of 4.8 kg, jaggery boosts one’s immunity. Plus, it helps to treat constipation and joint pain. That’s not all. It provides relief during menstrual cramps and promotes healthy heart functioning.
- Water: Required for making the decoction in the quantity of 40.96 litres.
Recommended Dose: Around 12-24 ml, 1-2X a day. You can consume it post meals with lukewarm water. The maximum possible dosage is 60 ml.
Arjunarishta’s Uses: At A Glance
Now that we’ve understood how each ingredient offers different kinds of health benefits, let’s look at the multi-functional uses of this syrup:
- Treats chronic respiratory issues such as asthma, COPD and chronic bronchitis.
- Strengthens the lungs and improves lung capacity due to its anti-allergic reaction.
- Treats trauma related to chest injury and pain.
- Treats cardiac issues such as myocardial infarction, arrhythmia, heart attack etc. and boosts heart functioning.
- Prevents fluctuating blood pressures levels.
- Treats hypotension and acts as a potent anti-oxidant.
- Aids in proper blood supply to various organs in the body thereby preventing paralysis, stroke, bodily weakness, etc.
- Treats vertigo, headache, visual disturbances, slurred speech, and altered consciousness.
- Prevents general debility and strengthens the muscles as well as joints.
- Tends to cough and throat-related problems by eliminating mucous build-up.
- Balances cholesterol levels in the body.
- Maintains intestinal health by removing toxins and cleansing the system from the inside out.
- Enhances fertility as it is known to improve sperm quality.
Arjunarishta’s Medicinal Properties
Arjunarishta’s Top-3 Bountiful Benefits
Arjunarishta for heart blockage and cardiac arrhythmia is a God-send. As per Dr Shridhar Dwivedi, Professor at Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences & Research: “Arjunarishta contains flavonoids, tannins and minerals that provides anti-oxidation, anti-inflammatory and lipid-lowering properties. The tree-bark exerts inotropic and hypotensive effect which increases coronary artery flow.” To treat heart bradycardia, Arjunarishta is administered along with Jawahar Mohra or Yakuti Rasayana. To treat Tachycardia, Jahar mohra pishti (250 mg), Mukta pishti (125 mg), Praval pishti (250 mg) along with Arjunarishta and 1 teaspoon of gulkand.
If you’re looking to reduce the accumulation of cholesterol and its buildup, Arjunarishta for cholesterol can be your safest bet yet. Speak to your doctor to understand the recommended dosage for cholesterol.
High Blood Pressure
If you wish to normalize your blood pressure levels, try Arjunarishta for high blood pressure. It helps to promote cardiovascular endurance and works well for both low and high BP problems. To treat severe hypertension (a cause of high BP), take Sarpagandha powder (250 mg), jahar mohra pishti (500 mg), Mukta pishti (125 mg), pana pishti (125 mg), and Arjunarishta along with milk, 2X a day. To treat hypotension or low BP, take ashwagandha powder (2 gm), Vishamushti vati (65 mg), and arjunarishta with milk, 2X a day for a period of four weeks.
Arjunarishta’s Side Effects & Precautionary Measures
- Diabetic patients and pregnant & lactating mothers should avoid using this herbal syrup.
- Please consult a doctor before giving it to a child is below 5 years of age.
- It consumed in excess, it may cause:
– Vomiting or nausea
– High blood pressure
– Low blood sugar level
– Burning sensation
– Acid reflux
– Constipation/loose stools
- Avoid driving and operating heavy machinery while on this medicine.
- Do not consume alcohol with this herbal syrup as it contains self-generated alcohol.
- Take care of any allergies you may have with any of the ingredients used in the preparation of Arjunarishta.
Please consult a doctor before taking this medicine if you are suffering from:
- Kidney and liver-related ailments
- Lung tumour
- Severe head injuries
- Psychiatric disorders
Important: Generally speaking too, please consult your doctor to understand the recommended dosage based on your health history and underlying health conditions. Under no circumstances should you self-prescribe this medicine.
Where to Buy It Online?
If you’re wondering about Arjunarishta’s price, we’ll put your concerns at ease. Here are some popular brands that manufacture this herbal syrup:
- Arjunarishta Himalaya: This medicine in the tablet form is priced at INR 579. It helps in improving coronary artery blood flow, reducing the chances of clot formation, and protects the heart muscles.
- Baidyanath Arjunarishta: This cardiac tonic helps treat a host of heart-related issues such as angina, palpitation, blocked arteries, enlarged heart ischemia etc.
- Dabur Arjunarishta: Priced INR 300, this heart tonic is also known by other names such as Partharishtam, Parthadyarishtam, etc.