There’s no doubt that growing children experience physical growth and mind-enhancing milestones much more frequently than adults. From improving their motor and language skills to enhancing their cognitive capabilities and ensuring physical endurance, a child’s nutrition plays a big part in every stage of development.
Needless to say, exposing children to allopathic medicines to makeup for dietary gaps is neither a smart choice nor a healthy one, why not go for a herbal Ayurvedic medicine that caters to all their growing needs, that too safely and effectively?
Today, we’ll talk about an important medicine that was first described in the ancient Ayurvedic text, “Bhaishajya Ratnavali” called Arvindasava/Aravindasavam. Literally translated, Arvind means Kamal in Hindi and lotus in English. Primarily, Aravindasavam works to pacify the Vata dosha in the human body and comes with the goodness of lotus flower (hence the name Arvind). This healthy nervine tonic ensures that your child gets the best care, filled with nature’s goodness and herbal goodies (for lack of a better term).
Arvindasava’s Polyherbal Ingredients
Arvindasava is the perfect go-to Ayurvedic decoction that provides all-round nourishment, improves strength, and aids in proper digestion. Its medicinal properties include:
- Natural Anabolic
- Digestive tonic
Here are the 27 powerful ingredients that come together to deliver this power-packed brown-colored herbal medicine:
1. Nelumbo Nucifera (Lotus)
2. Vetiveria Zizaniodes (Ushira/Khas)
3. Gmelina Arborea (Gambhari)
4. Nymphaea Stellata (Neel Kamal)
5. Rubia Cordifolia (Manjistha Roots)
6. Elettaria Cardamomum (Elaichi)
7. Sida Cordifolia (Bala Roots)
8. Nardostachys Jatamansi (Jatamansi Roots)
9. Cyperus Rotundus (Mustak/Nagarmotha)
10. Hemidesmus Indicus (Sariva Roots)
11. Terminalia Chebula (Haritaki Fruit Rind)
12. Terminalia Bellerica (Bibhitaki Fruit Rind)
13. Acorus Calamus (Vacha Roots)
14. Emblica Officinalis (Amla)
15. Licorice (Mulethi)
16. Hedychium Spicatum (Spiked Ginger Lilly Rhizome)
17. Indigofera Tinctoria (True Indigo Roots)
18. Trichosanthes Dioica (Patola)
19. Fumaria Indica (Pitpapra)
20. Terminalia Arjuna (Arjuna Stem Bark)
21. Madhukar Indica (Madhuka Flowers)
22. Selinum Tenuifolium (Mura)
23. Vitis Vinifera (Raisins)
24. Woodforida Fruticosa (Dhataki Flowers)
26. Brown Sugar
How Aravindasavam Is Made?
To begin with, sugar is dissolved in water and all the other herbal ingredients are added to it in a coarse powdered form. Then, honey is added as per taste and mixed well. Next, this mixture is kept in a clay pot for at least a month so that it ferments well. Finally, it is strained and stored in an air tight container. You can easily buy it online (more on this below).
Note: A fair warning, it has a slightly bitter taste.
Arvindasava’s All-Round Uses: At a Glance
Arvindasava is a health boon for children and helps to address a number of issues that promote holistic child development as it contains active compounds like alkaloids and flavonoids. The health benefits include:
- Improving appetite and aiding in better digestion.
- Treating nutritional deficiencies such as vitamin C, Vitamin B-complex , potassium, calcium, magnesium etc.
- Treating learning disorders like dyslexia and behavioral disorders such as hyperactivity.
- Boosting physical and mental strength.
- Treating rickets (a skeletal disorder that’s caused by a lack of vitamin D, calcium, or phosphate).
- Strengthening the immune system against allergens.
In addition to these, it helps to treat:
- Recurrent cough/bronchitis
- Indigestion and poor appetite
- Abdominal distension/gas
- Loose stools
- Bone weakness
This medicine is taken orally and is safe to give to children above 1 year of age. That said, please consult your doctor before self-prescribing it to your child/infant.
- Children: 3-6 ml
- Adults: 15-30 ml
Important: The maximum possible dosage for Aravindasavam is 60 ml a day (across doses). You can take the doses mentioned above with equal amount of water post meals, twice a day. Please consult your doctor to understand the right dosage for you basis your health history.
Arvindasava poses numerous benefits for the body and mind. These include:
From increasing the digestive fire and promoting better absorption of nutrients to stimulating the digestive juices and preventing acid dyspepsia, Aravindasavam is a boon for the digestive system. These qualities make this herbal decoction a must for growing children who often suffer from poor digestion and low appetite.
Improved growth & development of children
Whether it’s physical benefits such as aiding in a child’s growth or whether it’s mental benefits such as enhancing their cognitive thinking skills, Arvindasava caters to all kinds of physical and mental needs. Additionally, it also helps a child to learn, reason, problem-solve better. That’s not all. If you’re looking to improve their motor skills and strengthen their bones and muscles, this herbal medicine is the perfect solution. Probably because it contains ingredients like lots flower, Yashtimadhu, Vacha roots, and raisins, which makes it a nutritious and wholesome natural supplement.
This liquid medicine comprises of nutrients that prevent the bones from going soft.
Suggested Remedy: You can take 2.5-5 ml Aravindasavam, Praval Pishti (125 mg), Mukta Pishti (125 mg), Godanti Bhasma (125 mg), Mukta Shukti Bhasma (125 mg), Abhrak Bhasma (25 mg), and Yashad Bhasma (25 gm). This medicine is rich in magnesium, calcium, zinc and other important nutrients that aid in a child’s growth and strengthen the bones from the inside out.
Arvindasava Side Effects
It does not have any side-effects if taken in the correct doses under expert supervision. However, in case of excess dosage, you may experience the following side-effects:
- Acid reflux
- Vomiting and nausea
- High blood pressure
- Low blood sugar level
- Burning sensation
Important: Please consult your doctor before consuming this herbal decoction and under no circumstances should you consume it pre-meals as it may cause gastric irritation. Only consume it post meals.
Where You Can Buy It Online?
If you’re wondering about Arvindasava’s price, here’s a handy list of famous brands that sell this medicine that you can try:
- Dabur Aravindsava: Priced at INR 150 only, this medicine is extremely helpful if your child faces general body weakness and fatigue.
- Baidyanath Aravindsava: Conveniently priced at INR 104, this herbal tonic treats case of rickets, diarrhoea, cough, constipation etc. in children. It also comes in handy if your child engages in bedwetting.
- Patanjali Aravindsava: This medicine from Patanjali fills in dietary gaps, and strengthens a child’s immunity. It extends all-round nourishment and helps them gain physical strength while developing their brain and memory powers. It is priced at INR 61.
- Vaidyaratam Aravindasavam: Priced at INR 95, This syrup is made by the South Indian Ayurveda pharmacy Vaidyaratam. It is a pediatric tonic for nourishment as well as brain development.