Ushirasava is an Ayurvedic preparation which is mainly given to stop excessive bleeding. It is homeostatic in nature and also contains pitta pacifying properties as it has a cooling and tranquillising tendency. It treats menorrhagia, nose bleeding, rectal bleeding and excessive postpartum bleeding. It is also beneficial in curing urinary as well as skin disorders.
The main ingredients of this preparation are Ushira / Vetiver (Veriveria Zizaniodides) and Padma (Lotus).
Ushira is a sheet Virya herb which is cool in nature and gives nourishment to the cells and supports building bodily fluids. It is mainly indicated for bleeding disorders but it is also found useful for asthma, tuberculosis, cough, hiccups, anorexia, fever and poisoning.
Padma or Lotus is also a good remedy for treating bleeding disorders like ulcerative colitis, epistaxis, menorrhagia. It is astringent and absorbent in nature and is found useful in IBS, colitis and diarrhoea.
Uses and Benefits of Ushirasava
- Useful in improving blood circulation in the body and also improves the health of blood vessels.
- It treats all types of heavy bleeding disorders like epistaxis (nasal bleeding), rectal bleeding, menorrhagia menstrual bleeding, metrorrhagia (abnormal Uterine bleeding), bleeding after child birth, Haematuria (blood in urine), Haemorrhage (an escape of blood from a ruptured blood vessel), and bleeding piles.
- It is useful for relieving urinary disorders like UTI (urinary tract infection), painful and burning sensation while passing urine (burning micturition), due to its diuretic and anti-bacterial properties.
- Ushirasava has depurative properties and it purifies blood and cleanses the liver which is one of the main reasons why it is indicated for some types of skin diseases as well.
- It is anti-microbial and anti-bacterial. It is highly effective in curing intestinal worm infestation.
- It is mildly helpful in reducing inflammation in the body.
- It is also anti-diabetic and can be indicated for diabetes in combination with other medicines.
- Ushirasava is also good for breakage of stones formations in kidney, bladder and urethra.
- It is useful in uraemia which is a disease where the level of urea and some other nitrogenous waste compounds in the blood rises.
- It can also be helpful in other kidney related disorders like Spermatorrhea.
- Consuming with Chandraprabha Vati gives relief from Shukra vikar like nightfall.
- It is also prescribed for Anemia and early stage of liver diseases.
- It pacifies and balances pitta dosha hence it is also useful in treating premature grey hair due to aggravated pitta.
- Ushirasava is also indicated to pregnant women who show the risk of premature delivery or miscarriage.
Reference: Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Chapter 13, Raktapitta Prakarana, Verse 162-166, Raktapitta Rogadhikar 137-141
- Kamal / Lotus (Flower) – Nelumbo Nucifera (48 grams)
- Ushira / Vetiver (Root) – Vetiveria Zizanioides (48 grams)
- Priyangu (Flower) – Callicarpa Macrophylla (48 grams)
- Lodhra Stem (Bark) – Symplocos Racemosa (48 grams)
- Padmaka / Padmakh (Stem) – Prunus Cerasoides (48 grams)
- Gambhari (Root / Stem Bark) – Gmelina Arborea (48 grams)
- Neelotpala / Neel Kamal / Blue Water Lily (Flower) – Numphaea Stellata (48 grams)
- Safed Kamal / White Lotus (Flower) (48 grams)
- Patha (Root / Whole Plant) – Cissampelos Pareira (48 grams)
- Hribera (Root) – Coleus Vettiveroides (48 grams)
- Dhanvayasa (Whole Plant) – Fogonia Cretica (48 grams)
- Manjishta (Root) – Rubia Cordifolia (48 grams)
- Kiratatikta (Whole Plant)- Swertia Chirata (48 grams)
- Shati (Rhizome) – Hedychium Spicatum (48 grams)
- Pundarika Kamala (Flower) – Nelumbo Nucifera (48 grams)
- Kanchanara (Stem Bark) – Bauhinia Variegata (48 grams)
- Patola (Leaf) – Trichosanthes Dioica (48 grams)
- Udumbara / Gular (Root / Stem Bark) – Ficus Racemosa (48 grams)
- Nyagrodha (Root / Stem Bark) – Ficus Benghalensis (48 grams)
- Shalmali (Exudate) – Salmalia Malabarica (48 grams)
- Parpataka (Whole Plant) – Fumaria Parviflora (48 grams)
- Jambu / Jamun / Java Plum (Stem Bark) – Syzygium Cumini (48 grams)
- Dhataki (Flower) – Woodfordia Fruticosa (768 grams)
- Draksha (Raisins) (960 grams)
- Warm Water (24.576 litres)
- Shahad – Honey (2.4 kg)
- Munakka (1 Kg)
- Shakara – Sugar (4800 grams)
- Jatamansi – Nardostachys Jatamansi (Q.S)
- Kali Mirch / Black Pepper (Fine Powder) – Piper Nigrum (Q.S)
- Adults can take from 10 to 30 ml a day.
- Children can take from 2.5 ml to 10 ml a day. It’s best to stick to low dosage.
Should be added with an equal amount of normal water. Take it twice a day, after breakfast and dinner. It is a non-habit-forming medication. It can be taken for 2 weeks to 4 months time.
For heavy menstruation, it can be taken 1 week before periods start. During menstruation also, it can be taken till it lasts.
Ushirasava Side Effects :
Ushirasava is a medication which should not be taken without the consultation of a trained physician. Pregnant or lactating women should take the advice of an Ayurvedic doctor and if not possible, avoid the use of this medicine. Common side effects observed are
- If taken for incorrect reasons or complaints, can cause prolonged menstrual cycle or delayed cycle.
- Higher dosage than prescribed can cause stomach irritation.
10 Years from the date of manufacture.
Store it in a tightly closed amber coloured bottle, in a cool and dry place away from sunlight.
Where to Buy?
It is available easily online or even in Ayurvedic shops as it is manufactured by most large Ayurveda pharmacies.
- Baidyanath Ushirasava 450 ml
- Patanjali Ushirasava
- Basic Ayurveda Ushirasava 450ml
- Balu Herbals Ushirasava 500ML