Did you know that people in the U.S. suffer 1 billion colds over a period of just one year? On the other hand, data indicate that adults have an average of 2-3 colds per year, whereas the number is as high as 6-10 colds for children. While the “common flu” cannot be prevented, it can definitely be cured naturally and as painlessly as possible. Enter: Vyoshadi Vatakam.
“Let nothing which can be treated by diet be treated by other means.” – Maimonides
Whether you call it Vyoshadi Vatakam (follows the recipe in Ashtanga Hridayam and is used in the Southern part of India), Vyoshadi Vati (Used as a lozenge for sore throat in Northern parts of India), or Vyoshadi Gutika; this super effective medicine helps treat a host of respiratory issues and aids in better digestion. Trust us when we say that you must add it to your home’s first-aid kit and reap its many benefits! Let’s look at what it contains and what are its major health advantages.
Vyoshadi Vatakam finds its mention in two ancient Ayurvedic manuscripts, Ashtanga Hridayam or the “Essence of all the Eight Branches of Ayurveda” and Sarngadhara Samhita which serves as a treatise on Ayurveda and acts as a handbook for every practitioner. As you can guess, these all-important texts direct and guide a majority of Ayurvedic protocols and philosophies.
Vyoshadi Vatakam Ingredients: A Complete Low-Down
Vyoshadi Vatakam comprises of 11 key ingredients that come together to deliver a host of health benefits. These ingredients include the following:
|1. Trikatu Churna||36 gm|
|2. Talispatra||12 gm|
|3. Tintidika||12 gm|
|4. Chavya (Java Long Pepper)||12 gm|
|5. Amlavetasa||12 gm|
|6. Jeera (Cumin)||12 gm|
|7. Chitrak (White Leadwort)||12 gm|
|8. Dalchini (Cinnamon)||9 gm|
|9. Tej Patta (Indian Bay Leaf)||9 gm|
|10. Elaichi (Cardamom)||9 gm|
|11. Gur (Jaggery)||240 gm|
Step 1: A sugar syrup or chasni is prepared by mixing jaggery with water.
Step 2: The list of ingredients mentioned above are added to this syrup and the vati is processed.
Vyoshadi Vatakam Recommended Dosage
This medicine can be taken orally and is typically available in two forms, namely:
- General dose for children: 2.5-5 gm
- General dose for adults: 5-10 gm
- Maximum daily dose: 30 gm a day (in divided doses)
Tablet form(when each tablet weighs between 375-500 mg)
- Children: 1 tablet
- Adult: 2 tablets
- Maximum dose: 4-8X a day (in divided doses)
You can consume this medicine with lukewarm water/honey/milk, ideally after consuming food.
Important: Please consult your doctor to understand the recommended dose for you basis your body type and health history.
Vyoshadi Vati’s Medicinal Properties
If you’re wondering about Vyoshadi Vati’s medicinal properties, we’ve got you covered. Here’s a list of the medicinal values you can enjoy from this all-powerful medicine:
- Digestive booster
Note: It is light and dry in quality and offers hot potency. It is known to pacify the Vatta and Kapha doshas.
Vyoshadi Vatakam’s Versatile Uses
It has been mentioned earlier that this medicine primarily works wonders for cold, cough, and rhinitis. In fact, this has been scientifically-proven. According to a study, “Ayurvedic formulations such as Dasamoolakatuthrayam Kwatha, Vyoshadi Vatakam, Swasanandam Gutika, and Swasa Kalpa are widely used by Ayurvedic physicians and clinically proven to have anti-allergic effects.” In terms of the health benefits, it provides relief from bronco spasm, airway blockage, consistent sneezing, running nose, as well as allergic asthma.
In addition to these, here’s a list of Vyoshadi Vati’s uses for your reference:
- Treats common cold and related symptoms: As common as cold might be, there’s no denying that it is extremely cumbersome. From nasal inflammation and mucous discharge to congestion and coughing as well as throat irritation, there’s much to deal with. Vyoshadi Vatakam is helpful in treating all these issues.
- Treats allergic rhinitis, sinusitis, sneezing, and incessant coughing.
- Treats asthma and nasal polyp.
- Stimulates digestive fire, acts as an appetite booster which in turn, makes it useful for anorexia.
- Treats coryza or catarrhal inflammation.
- Treats sore throat and improves as well as modulates voice.
- Treats heart diseases and anaemia.
- Treats dyslipidemia which refers to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of lipid in the blood.
- Gets rid of toxic AMA that causes chest infection and fever.
- Promotes vasodilation and improves circulation in the lungs.
Vyoshadi Vatakam’s Benefits: An Overview
Moving on, let’s take a look at Vyoshadi Vati’s benefits and simple home remedies you can follow:
- Common cold: You can take 1 teaspoon, 3X a day or as directed by your Ayurvedic practitioner.
- Sinusitis: A combination of nasal ingestion of Shadbindu oil and this medicine is extremely effective in lowering sinusitis.
Where You Can Buy It Online?
Vyoshadi Vatakam’s price typically ranges between INR 40-200 depending on the bottle size. Here are some established Ayurveda brands that you can give a shot:
- Vyoshadi Vati Dabur: This medicine containing 40 tablets comes in handy for treating numerous health issues such as allergic rhinitis, running nose, cold and cough, hoarse voice, and throat problems. The ideal dose is 1-2 tablets (250 mg –500mg), 2X a day or as directed by your physician. You can consume it with warm water.
- Kerala Ayurveda Vyoshadi Vatakam: Costing only INR 40, this medicine acts as an expectorant, appetizer, anti-allergic, and tones up the voice. All in all, it helps to treat breathing issues, hoarse voice, and anorexia.
- AVS Kottakkal Vyoshadi Vatakam: Priced at INR 120, this pack of two helps treat respiratory issues.
- Vyoshadi Vatakam Vaidyaratnam: This pack of three is priced at INR 120 and is extremely useful for treating a host of respiratory issues.
Vyoshadi Vatakam’s Side-Effects & Precautionary Measures
Consuming this medicine in excess can aggravate the Pitta in the body and lead to the following side-effects:
- Burning sensation
- Gastritis, irritation, and discomfort
- Pregnant mothers should avoid consuming this herb.
- Lactating mothers and children can be given this medicine only under expert consultation.
- People with bleeding disorders should not take this medicine.
- People who suffer from the frequent onset of mouth ulcers should avoid this medicine.
- Avoid consuming this medicine two weeks before and after a scheduled surgery.
Did you find this post useful? Would you like to get back to it later? Save THIS PIN below to your Pinterest Natural Living or Ayurveda board!