Vilwadi Lehyam is an Ayurvedic preparation by Kerala Ayurveda, which is mainly indicated for the treatment of bowel and digestion related health issues. It is named after its main ingredient Vilwamula (Aegle Marmelos) also known as Bael Root which is a great herb especially known for its benefits for stomach related issues like constipation, peptic ulcers, intestinal worms infestation and many more.
Due to the bitter ingredients of this formulation, rather than preparing a liquid form, a lehyam is prepared which is like a medicated jam. Lehyams are herbal jams which are processed with a sugary media like jaggery or sugar to make it a semi-solid palatable form.
Uses and Benefits of Vilwadi Lehyam
This formulation is used to treat all stomach related problems like
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Low digestive power
- Chrone’s disease
- Passing of mucous with stool
- Abdominal tumour.
It increases the digestion power by increasing the jataragni (digestive fire) and also eliminates ama (toxins) accumulation from the body. It is also effective in relieving constipation and piles and symptoms of indigestion such as bloating, flatulence, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, excessive salivation, nausea and vomiting. It is anti-microbial so it helps in all conditions like bacterial infections in the gut. Due to its main ingredient Bael root / Vilwa, it has anthelminthic properties so it helps in the elimination of intestinal worms and bacteria. Vilwa root is the first ingredient of dashamool group of roots which represent anti-inflammatory activity. It is doshaghna meaning it balances tridosha.
Due to the presence of spices that are warm in nature like long pepper, ginger, cumin and black pepper, this medicine is also prescribed for GERD, acid reflux, heartburn, asthma, cough and cold, erosive gastritis and H Pylori infection.
Vilwadi Lehyam Ingredients
- Vilwa/Bael (Aegle marmelos) 4.800g
- Guda (Jaggery) 4.800g – 1-year-old jaggery used
- Ginger (Zingiber Officinale) 0.480g
- Shehad (Honey) 1.333 ml
- Maricha (Piper Nigrum) 0.640g
- Chavya (Piper Cebuba) 0.160g
- Kesara (Crocus Sativa) 0.080g
- Pippali (Piper Longum) 0.320g
- Chitraka (Plumbago Zeylanica) 0.160g
- Pippalimula (Piper Longum) 0.320g
- Jeeraka (Cuminum Cyminum) 0.320g
- Karpura (Cinnamomum Caphora) 0.010g
- Trijata – Mixture of following unto 0.040g
- Cinnamomum Tamala (patra)
- Cinnamomum Zeylanicum (dalchini)
- Elettaria Cardamomum (chotti ilaichi)
1 tsp can be taken twice a day before or after meals or as recommended by the Ayurveda practitioner.
- Overdose may cause constipation or hard stool.
- Should not be consumed during pregnancy or lactating.
Bilwadi Leha, Vilvadi Leham, Bilvadi Leham, Bilvadi Lehyam
Vilwadi Gulika, Bilwadi Vati, Bilwadi Churna, Vilwadi Keram