Having its roots in ancient Ayurvedic medicine from Kerela, your grandmother’s signature Kashayam, Kwath, or Kadha is primarily a water extract or decoction of a single/multiple herbs. Generally, readily-available kitchen spices and herbs like tulsi, ginger, neem, garlic, cinnamon, cloves, long pepper, and pepper are used in preparing this all-powerful liquid extract.
Additionally, this classic medicinal form is typically used for specific ailments in South-Indian or Bengali families and comes in varied forms. Being water soluble and concentrated in nature, it is easily absorbed by the intestines, thereby providing immediate relief. There’s a wide range of Kashayam available such as Rasnadi Kashayam, Indukantham Kashayam, Manathikthakam Kashayam, etc. Today, we will be exploring the popular herbal decoction that’s also become synonymous with losing weight and treating thyroid issues – Varanadi Kashayam.
Varanadi Kashayam or “Varunadi Kwath” is a herbal medicine that can be rightly claimed as “liquid gold.” Comprising of 16 powerful ingredients, this kadha addresses diverse illnesses from the very roots. It doubles up as a natural herbal diuretic and can be used for oedema cures as well.
Varanadi Kashayam: Key Ingredients of This Medicinal Tea
This multi-purpose herb comprises of 16 key ingredients, namely:
- Varana (Crataeva religiosa)
- Sairyaka (Strobilanthes ciliatus)
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus)
- Dahana (Plumbago zeylanica)
- Morata (Chenomorpha fragrans)
- Bilwa (Aegle marmelos)
- Vishanika (Aristolochia bracteolate)
- Brihati (Solanum melongena)
- Bhadra (Aerua lanata)
- Karanja (Pongamia glabra)
- Pootikaranja (Holoptelia integrifolia)
- Jaya (Premna corymbosa)
- Pathya (Terminalia chebula)
- Bahalapallava (Moringa olifera / drum stick)
- Darbha (Desmostachya bipinnata)
- Rujakara (Semicarpus Anacardium)
Fair warning: It may be bitter in taste, so be mentally prepared for a sour after-taste – albeit it is known to provide instant relief.
Varanadi Kashayam Uses: General Dosage
Typically, varanadi kashayam can be consumed in three forms – tablet, syrup, or decoction. Here’s the recommended dosage for each:
1. Varanadi Kashayam Syrup: 10-20ml mixed in warm water to be taken 30 minutes prior to your meal. Alternatively, combine 15ml kashayam and 60ml warm water and consume at 6 am and 6 pm.
2. Varanadi Kashayam Tablets: These tablets are known to pacify vata and kapha defects.
- Dosage: 1-2 tablets with warm water to be taken an hour before your meal. Can be taken two times a day before you consume food. Note: This is a better alternative if you cannot bear the taste of this herb in the decoction/liquid form.
3. Varanadi Kashayam Kwath (Decoction): Dosage is 20-40 ml of the decoction prior to your meals.
How to Prepare this All-Powerful Concoction:
Soak all herbal ingredients in water overnight, add 16X water the following morning, and keep boiling so that it’s reduced to 1/8th or 1/4th of the quantity. Strain and consume while it is still warm.
Important: It is great that you’re moving one step closer towards holistic healing by taking the necessary steps, but it’s important to be cautious as well. Make sure to consult a doctor before ingesting this herb in any form.
Varanadi Kashayam Benefits
Varanadi Kashayam comes with anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial effects. It is typically used in the treatment of the following:
- Migraine/Headaches: Popular for treating the kapha type of headache (a key cause of migraine) accompanied by stiffness, sinus headaches, and a heavy headed feeling. In the case of migraines, Varanadi Kashayam clears the obstructed channels of the body and helps in improving blood circulation. Additionally, for sinus headaches, it helps to reduce mucus formulation, dilates the bronchioles, and soothes the respiratory tract in the lungs, thereby preventing sinus headaches, breathlessness, asthma.
- Thyroid & related issues: Hypothyroidism, obesity, and hypercholesterolemia. Varanadi Kashayam for thyroid is a godsend as it improves fat metabolism in the body. It also blocks the accumulation of cholesterol and hence can prevent serious heart diseases, such as coronary artery disorders.
- Low digestive strength
- Stomach Issues: It is helpful in cases of indigestion, bloating etc.
- Skin Issues: It can be used to treat abscess/wounds.
- PCOS: It helps in instances of cysts/fibroids, painful periods, and bulky uterus.
- Liver Diseases: It is used to treat fatty liver, jaundice, and viral- and alcohol- hepatitis as Varanadi Kashayam is known to enhance liver and fat metabolism in the body while reducing inflammation caused in the liver by bacteria/virus.
- Joint disorders: This includes people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.
- Anaemia and excessive daytime sleepiness
Fact: In a clinical research, Varunadi Kwath was administered along with Yava Kshara treatment to patients suffering from urolithiasis. The results were as follows: 66.66% of the patients recorded a complete cure, 13.33% displayed marked improvements, and 20% showed some improvement.
Varanadi Kashayam Side-Effects & Precautionary Measures
Ayurvedic herbs generally are well-tolerated among the majority of the population. However, depending on the body type, Varanadi Kashayam may have the following side-effects:
- Mouth ulcers
- Dry mouth and increased thirst
- Increased urination in case of excess dosage
- Loss of appetite for people having pre-conditions such as gastritis/ulcer
- People having a history of heartburn, gastritis, ulcer, or heat disorders should refrain from using this herb
- Pregnant/lactating mothers should consult a doctor before consuming it
- People with diabetes should keep a check on their blood sugar levels as this herb is known to reduce sugar levels
Where You Can Buy It?
Home-brewed Kashayams may be considered a novelty now but there are online portals that house this herbal medicine. So if you’re looking to buy Varanadi Kashayam online, here are some basic details that can assist you in the process:
- Varanadi Kashayam Price: Ranges between Rs.100 – 390 (depending on whether it’s in the liquid or tablet form)
- Online portals: AVS Kottakkal, Vaidyaratnam Varanadi Kashayam
Next time you’re experiencing throbbing pain, give this wonder liquid a try and experience its manifold benefits first-hand.