Punarnavadi Kashayam is a classical Ayurvedic formulation indicated in liver conditions, respiratory disorders, kidney problems, skin diseases, intestinal diseases and hypothyroidism. It is a decoction of herbs in liquid form. There are other similar preparations as in Punarnavashtaka kashaya and Punarnavashtak kwath which also have a similar action.
Punarnavadi Kashayam Properties
- Anti-Inflammatory: Reduces inflammation.
- Diuretic – Eliminates water from the body.
- Antioxidant – Improves skin health and texture.
- Anti-asthmatic – Helps keeps the lungs clean by helping in the removal of catarrhal and phlegm from bronchial tubes.
- Anti-oestrogenic – Removes excess oestrogen and suppresses oestrogenic activity.
- Expectorant: Helps treat cough by promoting the secretion of sputum by the respiratory passages.
- Diaphoretic: Induces precipitation.
- Hepatoprotective – Protects the liver by preventing damage.
- Laxative: Helps eliminate waste from the intestines.
- Hypoglycemic: Reduces blood sugar levels and improves glucose tolerance.
- Stomachic : Improves digestion and promotes appetite.
Punarnava – Boerhaavia Diffusa
Neem (Nimba) – Azadirachata Indica
Patola (Chachinda) – Trichosanthes Cucumerina
Dried Ginger (Sunthi) – Zingiber Officinale
Tikta (Katuka) – Picrorhiza Kurroa
Kantakari (Kateli) – Solanum Xanthocarpum
Giloy (Guduchi, Amruta)- Tinospora Cordifolia
Darvi (Daruharidra) – Berberis Aristata
Devdaru – Cedrus Deodara
Abhaya (Haritaki) – Terminalia Chebula
Indications & Health Benefits
Jaundice and UTI
Punarnavadi Kashayam is named for its main ingredient, Punarnava (Boerhavia Diffusa) which is a creeping perennial herb. Its roots are used in Ayurveda as a medicine for a long time. It eliminates swelling, oedema due to excess fluid accumulation and has a diuretic effect. It flushes excess toxins and water from the body and shows excellent results in treating kidney, renal and urinary disorders like Jaundice, anasarca, urinary tract infection and general fevers.
Liver Cirrhosis, Enlargement of Liver and Hepatitis
Punarnavadi Kashayam is considered a kidney and liver tonic. It is used in treatment in all liver-related diseases including Liver Cirrhosis, Enlargement of Liver, Liver dysfunction, Hepatitis A, B and C, Oedema, Polycystic liver disease, Anaemia, Fatty liver, Loss of appetite and ascites caused by liver diseases. It has four liver curing ingredient i.e Punarnava, Giloy, Katuka and Trichosanthes Cucumerina which are liver cleansing herbs.
Giloy (Guduchi) is known for its usefulness in liver damage, alcohol and chemical poisoning and viral hepatitis. Giloy, Punarnava and Trichosanthes Dioica clean the liver and protect the liver cells as they have hepatoprotective activity.
Katuka also commonly known as Kutki, reduces excess pitta from the liver and gall bladder and decreases excess serum bilirubin level. It also corrects liver metabolism. Punarnava reduces inflammation caused by liver diseases.
Punarnavadi Kashyam is prescribed to the patients of Hypothyroidism. It is a condition where the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone which leads to issues like constipation, weight gain, depression, tiredness and high sensitivity to cold. Mostly such patients also suffer from myxoedema which is swelling of the skin and underlying tissue giving a waxy consistency due to the underactive thyroid gland. Punarnavadi Kashyam stimulates the thyroid gland to produce more hormone.
Rheumatoid Arthritis And Osteoarthritis
Due to its strong anti-inflammatory effect, it is prescribed to rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis patients to reduce swelling and pain of knee joints and ankles.
Punarnavadi Kashyam is also used to treat respiratory disorders like chronic asthma, Bronchitis, Sinusitis, Laryngitis, common cold and cough, breathing difficulties, blocked or running nose. The herb punarnava is especially helpful in clearing phlegm from the bronchial tubes. It suppresses allergic reactions in the respiratory tract. It is excellent in controlling bronchial asthma by preventing inflammation and increased the production of mucus.
Punarnavadi Kashayam For Weight Loss
This medicine contains Devadaru, Haritaki and Turmeric which can help improve metabolism and have anti-hyperlipidemic and anti-obesity actions. It can also be used to lose weight if taken combined with other weight reducing Ayurvedic herbs.
- There are no major side effects and it can be taken for a long period of time but it is a medicine which can only be taken on a physicians consultation.
- It reduces blood sugar levels so diabetics need to use this with proper consultation with the physician.
- It is a diuretic in nature and increases urination so increased water intake is recommended during consumption.
- Do not use this medicine during pregnancy.
VAIDYARATNAM Punarnavadi Kashayam – 200 ML