Moti Pishti (aka Mukta Pishti) and Mukta Pishti Bhasma are separate yet similar compounds made up of Pearls calcium. According to Ayurveda, play a great role in cooling the system apart from being a great calcium supplement. It works by balancing Pitta and Kapha doshas. Moti Pishti derives its name from moti meaning ‘Pearl’ and pishti meaning ‘grinding’ in Hindi.
Ingredients Of Moti Pishti (How Is It Prepared?):
The 2 formulations are made from different processes.
Moti Pishti is made by first crushing the pearls into a super fine powder, then mixing it with rose water and further grinding for 3-4 days to get a thick pasty consistency. All preparations named Pishti are prepared from detoxified and purified drug substance by grinding action in a mortar and pestle while being mixed with a liquid agent like rose water.
Chemical composition Of Moti Pishti:
- Conchiolin 10-14%
- Calcium carbonate 85-86%
- Water 2-4%
This is a better preparation in terms of the superior quality of better absorbable elemental Calcium and better cooling effect as compared to Moti Pishti Bhasma.
Moti Pishti Bhasma is actually a powdered form. Bhasma means ‘powder’ in Hindi and is prepared by heating pieces of pearls in heat up to 500 degrees for 2-3 hours leading to a Calcination process. This process is repeated 2-3 times. Calcination of Pearl is a thermal treatment process done in the absence or limited supply of air or oxygen which brings about a Thermal decomposition of the pearl.
There are some specifications as to what quality of pearls should be used to make the medicinal formulas and not just any pearl. The ideal pearls for such processes should be pleasant, white, round, water-like, slimy, big, clear and shining like the sun. Inappropriate pearls would be dry, dehydrated, and dark like copper or having a tinge of black, irregularly shaped like salt and the ones having knots.
These preparations are sweet in taste, Sheeta or cold in potency and primarily benefit eyesight, digestion issues while imparting strength and virility to the body. These are digested readily and fast in the body. Main organs affected by it include gastrointestinal system, brain, kidney, heart, nerves, joints, reproductive organs and endocrine glands.
Actions Of Mukta Pishti:
- Calcium supplement
- Anti-inflammatory: To reduce pain, redness, and swelling (together called Inflammation
- Antipyretic: relieves fever.
- Antihypertensive: Works against high blood pressure.
- Muscle relaxant
- Antidepressant and anti-stress
- Demulcent: Forms a protective cover over mucus membranes.
- Fat burner
- Hypoglycaemic: Reduces blood sugar.
Above actions make it useful in varied conditions as follows.
How to Use Moti Pishti?
- Moti Pishti is meant to be taken orally and not in any other way. It is taken in a range of 25-250mg per day in divided doses for different conditions and according to differing ages. Usually taken 125mg once or twice a day with water.
- Mukta Pishti Bhasma is also given in these doses and is often prescribed to be mixed with honey, milk or butter for the ease of oral intake.
- Mukta Bhasma should be taken under Expert guidance and precise dosages for a limited amount of time as prescribed by a registered practitioner.
- Not to be taken externally or injected.
In some health conditions, the use of Moti Pishti is not to be done at all. These are:
- Kidney stones
- High Serum Calcium levels in the blood
- Hyperactive Parathyroid gland
- Excessive Loss of Body fluids/dehydration
Moti Pishti Uses & Benefits:
- Excessive of Pitta dosha leads to anger, fear, aggressiveness, agitation, insomnia and irritability. This is treated with Moti Pishti in a dosage of 125g twice a day orally with water.
- Also used for the treatment of Psychoses and depression.
Moti Pishti has a cooling effect on the digestive system.
- It relieves gastritis of any underlying cause like ulcers, injury or alcohol due to its anti-inflammatory effect.
- Also, it neutralizes excessive acid production and saves the stomach mucosal lining causing relief from heartburn.
- In cases of bloody dysentery, it is used to reduce bleeding.
- Reduces nose bleeding episodes in susceptible individuals.
- It reduces bleeding in menorrhagia (excessive menstruation).
- Also beneficial in post-menopausal bleeding.
- Mukta Pishti is an excellent calcium supplement which supports optimal muscle, bones and cell function. It is a superior form of naturally occurring calcium that is better absorbed by the gut as compared to the artificial preparations.
- It is used as a supplement in Pregnant and lactating ladies in monitored doses and self-medication is best to be avoided because consuming high amounts of calcium can affect the foetus adversely.
- Pearls are also a good source of amino acids and minerals.
- Beneficial in maintaining cardiovascular health.
- Helps to reduce high Blood pressure and a good cardio-tonic.
- Cardiomyopathy is also treated with this medicine.
It has been used to treat fever along with other medications.
Used to treat alopecia and premature greying of hair.
Improves eyesight and provides relief in cases of burning sensation in the eyes.
Diseases of the Biliary system are cured with Mukta Pishti too.
Mukta Pishti and Bhasma expire after a duration of 5 yrs from the date of manufacture.
Adults: 60 to 250mg per day orally in divided doses
Children: 25-125mg per day orally in divided doses
Pregnancy and Lactation: same as adults
- In fever, usually, Mukta Bhasma is used with Rasa Sindhoora.
- In Hiccups, usually, Mukta bhasma is co-administered with kutki and Swarna gairika choorna.
Doses should not exceed above 750mg per day.
The medicine is quite well-tolerated in prescribed therapeutic doses without any side effects however overdosages can be harmful. Always consult a qualified therapist before starting the treatment.
It is also used as a natural calcium supplement in pregnant and lactating women as it has high quality absorbable Natural form of calcium. Unlike modern inorganically produced forms of calcium carbonate available widely in the market, Mukta Pishti has added the benefit of being devoid of any gastric side effects like nausea, vomiting, belching, abdominal pain etc. in therapeutic doses. However, it is best to avoid self-medication for the potential risk of calcium overdose.
Occasionally, if any individual has an allergy to any of the ingredients of Moti Pishti, he/ she may experience low blood pressure, constipation, abdominal cramps, nausea and bleeding per vagina or in stools. If any of these symptoms occur after starting the use of Mukta Pishti, its use should be discontinued.
Did you find this post useful? Would you like to get back to it later? Save THIS PIN below to your Pinterest Natural Medicine or Ayurveda board!