Medical Reviewer: Dr Surabhi Rawat
Kumkumadi Lepam or Lepana is an Ayurvedic Balm preparation for brightening dull skin, removing dark circles, vanishing blemishes, dryness, wrinkles and dark spots and making skin youthful and radiant. It gets its name from the word Kumkum which means Saffron in Hindi and Sanskrit. Though it’s a thick balm, it gets easily absorbed in the skin without feeling very oily and clogging the pores. It’s usually a very safe preparation and well tolerated to all skin types. Ayurvedic scriptures of Ashtanga Hridayam and Bhashyaja Ratnavali mention Kumkumadi lepam for use in these conditions.
This preparation is a cream-based version of Kumkumadi Tailam and is better suited for oily skinned people who do not tolerate the oil-based formula of Kumkumad Tailam/Oil. It is easy and quick to absorb and imparts all benefits of Kumkumadi tailam/oil.
Kumkumadi Lepam/ Lepana Ingredients
- Shweta Chandan /White Sandalwood/Santalum album
Lal Chandan/ Red Sandalwood/ Petrocarpus Santalinus
- Kumkuma Kesara /Saffron pollen/ Crocus Sativus
- Haldi/ Turmeric/ Curcuma Longa
- Haridra/ Curcuma Longa
- Rasakarpoora/ Mercurous Chloride
- Patchakarpoora/ Cinnamomum Camphora
- Ushira/ Vetiver/Khus/Vetiveria zizanioides
- Manjishtha/ Rubia Cordifolia
- Laksha/ Lac/ Laccifer lacca
- Padmaka/ Prunus cerasoides
- Kamal Kesar /Indian Lotus/Nelumbo nucifera
- Daruhaldi/ Berberis aristata
- Yashtimadhu/ Mulethi/Licorice/ Glycyrrhiza glabra
- Nilkandh/ Neelkamal/Blue Lotus
- Ointment base
Different brands use above ingredients in different combinations – eliminating a few without touching the main ingredients (Saffron, Sandalwood, Manjishtha, Yashtimadhu, Lac ) and adding others like Aloe vera/ Kapoor /Olive oil /Tulsi / Cucumber/ Vacha / Lodhra for extra benefits. The cream base also differs from paraffin base, olive oil, sesame oil to coconut oil. Hence it’s advisable to check ingredients for all companies carefully before buying and see if you are allergic to any of the newly added ingredients. Some brands also mix a soft cream base with Kumkumadi oil to make Kumkumadi lepam or cream.
How To Apply
- Makeup should be removed first with a cleanser.
- The face is then cleaned with a face wash.
- A liberal amount of cream is applied and massaged to melt in the skin. It’s very easily absorbed in the skin in a few strokes. Leave it overnight for dry skinned people.
- Wash with warm water in the morning.
- Oily skinned people can let the cream sit on face for 3-4 hours and then wash with lukewarm water. Also mixing a few drops of Rosewater with the cream before the application can be very beneficial for such people.
- Dry skinned people must leave it on overnight for full benefits.
- This balm can be used all over the body in the affected parts like dry ankles, heels, chapped lips and hands.
- Some companies have formulations that may thicken and become a bit solidified in winters but that doesn’t change the efficacy of the product and must be used similarly.
This cream is only for external use on the skin.
Benefits And Uses Of Kumkumadi Lepam
This cream is useful in all conditions and issues where Kumkumadi Thailam/ Oil is used. For full details read about Kumkumadi Oil. Benefits are as follows:
- Controls hyperpigmentation.
- Illuminates Dull skin.
- Removes blemishes and dark spots.
- Fights blackheads and whiteheads.
- Treats acne by anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and cooling action.
- Erases old acne scars.
- Cures dry skin- moisturizes.
- Cures dark circles.
- Tones skin pores and doesn’t clog pores.
- Anti-ageing due to the presence of anti-oxidants.
- Helps wound healing.
Who should Use Kumkumadi Lepam?
In addition to all the indications of use given above, these people can also use this balm.
- Those with super-dry skin benefits a lot by this cream.
- Though it is very famous amongst women for its immense benefits, men can use this as safely and usefully as women.
- Winter season-related dry skin problems like chapped lips, cracked heels and ankles, feet and hands can all be cured with this balm. It is a multipurpose product.
- People distressed with a recurrent Acne problem should definitely give this Lepam a try without being afraid of its balmy look. Just remember to wash it off with mild face wash.
If and when you feel the balm too greasy, just reduce the amount and add 3-4 drops of rose water to make a thinner consistency and continue using! Wait for 3 weeks to notice some results before making a hasty conclusion unless you feel allergic to it.
Main Ingredients Profile
- Kumkum/ Saffron pollens: are well acclaimed in Ayurveda for illuminating complexion and reducing dark skin spots.
- Manjishtha: Improves skin tone of dark and dull-looking skin and helps bring out the innate glow.
- Vetiver/ Khus: In addition to reducing dark spots, it has a soothing, cooling and calming benefit to the skin and evens out the tone too.
- Lotus seed: is renowned to achieve proper elasticity of the skin while maintaining adequate moisture/ hydration at the same time. Thus it erases wrinkles and premature fine lines caused by environmental damage and smoothens the look.
- Sandalwood: is anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, tightens skin pores and removes tan. Plus aroma is very captivating and calming.
- Yashtimadhu/ Licorice: is cooling and gives a calming effect. Also removes suntan by reducing melanin production in the epidermis of skin tissue.
Side Effects & Precautions
The balm formulation is considered very safe without any major side-effects and is quiet well-tolerated by all skin types. However,
- Saffron has a tendency to cause tanning in direct sunlight. So it should not be used when going under the sun.
- Oily skinned people should remember to wash after 3-4 hrs of application with lukewarm water.
- Please do patch testing before trying any new brand to rule out an allergy to any of the ingredients.
- Safe for lactating women and pregnant ladies too.
- Avoid usage in neonates and babies.
Below are some reputed brands with a varying price range. One may choose as per the budget.