Did you know that one in eight women are at risk of developing thyroid problems during her lifetime? Thyroid issues typically present themselves post-pregnancy and during menopause. That said, one of the biggest misconceptions of bearing this disease is that it cannot be cured or can be only cured by popping pills.
From yoga to Ayurvedic natural remedies, there’s a lot at your disposal to deal with thyroid naturally and effectively. One such remedy is Kachnar Guggulu. It is interesting to note that the word “Guggulu” literally translates to “protection from the disease.” Kachnar is also known by other names such as Varigated Bauhinia (Botanical name), Orchid Tree (English name), and Kanchanara (Sanskrit name).
“The more you let Ayurveda and Yoga become the basis for your living, the easier living gets.” – Charaka
Moving on, let’s look at this all-powerful medicine’s Ayurvedic qualities that make it so effective:
- It is bitter, pungent, astringent, and sweet in taste.
- It is neutral in action and has a pungent post-digestive effect.
- It is known to balance all doshas in the body, especially kapha.
Did You Know?
Typically, it is seen that as ‘Kapha’ moves deeper within the system, it manifests itself in various forms such as swollen lymph nodes, cysts, or growths. This is where using the trifecta: Triphala, Trikatu, and Guggulu can break down and get rid of hardened Kapha.
Kachanar Guggulu’s Key Ingredients
- Kanchanar (Bauhinia Variegate) bark
- Shunthi/Ginger (Zingiber Officinale)
- Maricha/Black pepper (Piper Nigrum)
- Pippali/Long Pepper (Piper Longum)
- Haritaki (Terminalia Chebula)
- Vibhitaki (Terminalia Bellerica)
- Amlaki (Emblica Officinalis)
- Varuna (Crataeva Nurvala bark)
- Tej Patra (Cinnamomum Tamala)
- Elaichi/Cardamom (Elletaria Cardemomum)
- Dalchini/Cinnamon (Cinnamomum Zeylanicum)
- Suddha Guggulu (Commiphora Mukul)
Note that the Kachanar bark is primarily used to make a decoction and then all these ingredients are taken in equal amounts to prepare the medicine.
Did You Know?
According to Ayurvedic texts, Guggulu (made from the sap of gum resin) has been in use since 600 BC to treat atherosclerosis – a disease which is responsible for coronary artery diseases, strokes, etc.
Kachanar Guggulu’s Healing Properties
- Muscle relaxant
- Thyroid booster
Kachnar Guggulu’s Multi-Dimensional Uses
Kachanar Guggulu poses a host of wonderful benefits for the human body. It is especially useful if you have a deep-rooted Kapha imbalance. Plus, it helps to treat thyroid issues and helps to reduce weight – two of the foremost concerns among adults today. To that end, let’s look at its benefits in greater detail:
- Aids in the functioning of the thyroid and cleanses the lymphatic system.
- Detoxifies the body from the inside out and flushes out toxins.
- Promotes digestive fire in the body and enhances gut functioning, thereby aiding in better digestion.
- Supports healthy tissues in the body including muscles, fat, and bones.
- Treats PCOS/PCOD-related issues, endometriosis, and fibroid in addition to enhancing the female reproductive system.
- Corrects hormonal imbalance and provides relief from menstrual disorders like amenorrhoea and anovulation. All in all, it helps in regulating the menstrual cycle.
- Treats pain in the joints.
- Improves blood flow and purifies the blood.
- Helps in reducing belly fat, boosts metabolism, and lowers cholesterol levels in the body.
- Enhances glandular functioning to reduce swelling caused due to goitre.
- Treats arthritis and different types of skin issues such as wounds, boils, etc.
- Helps in the treatment of cancer and tumours.
Kanchanar Guggulu Dosage:
- Tablet: 1–2, once or twice daily, or as directed by your Ayurvedic practitioner.
- Powder: 125 mg – 2 gms a day
Note that the maximum daily dosage for this medicine is 4 gms.
Kachnar Guggulu’s Therapeutic Benefits: At A Glance
Kachnar Guggulu For Thyroid
If you’re suffering from thyroid, Kachnar Guggulu is one of the best natural remedies to try. Whether it’s maintaining the healthy secretion of thyroid hormones or whether it’s regulating the functioning of the thyroid gland, this medicine ensures that your thyroid gland stays healthy and happy!
Suggested Remedy to treat hypothyroidism: Take a combination of Kanchanar Guggulu (2 tablets), Arogyavardhini Vati (2 tablets) and Yograj Guggulu (2 tablets). In the case of hyperthyroidism, the following remedy works well: Kanchanar Guggulu (2 tablets), Sootshekhar Ras (2 tablets), Parval Pisthi (500 mg), Mukta Pisthi (250 mg), Swarna Makshik Bhasma (250 mg), and Licorice powder (1 gram).
Kanchanar Guggulu For Fibroids
Research indicates that a staggering 75% of cases of PCOS/PCOD go undiagnosed among women. Suggested remedy: For patients with no symptoms of fibroid, take Kanchnaar Guggulu (1 gram) and Chandraprabha Vati (1 gram). For patients with fibroids who experience heavy bleeding, take Kanchnaar Guggulu (1 gram), Chandraprabha Vati (1 gram), Mukta Pishti (125 mg), Mukta Sukti Pishti (500 mg), Praval Pisthi (750 mg), Mulethi (Yashtimadhu) – Licorice – Glycyrrhiza Glabra Churna (2 grams), and Amalaki Rasayana (1 gram). Additionally, to treat PCOS, try this: Take Kanchanar Guggulu (2 tablets), Chandraprabha Vati (2 tablets) and Ashokarishta (4 tsp. with water).
Kachanar Guggulu For Osteoarthritis
Taking 500 mg of guggul, 3X a day is known to improve arthritis pain.
Kachanar Guggulu for Lipoma
This medicine is excellent for reducing the size of fatty tissue tumour.
Here’s the suggested home remedy you can try: Take Kanchanar Guggulu (2 tablets), Arogyavardhini Vati (2 tablets), and Triphala powder (2 grams).
Kachanar Guggulu for Lymphadenitis
If you’re suffering from enlarged lymph nodes, try this remedy, 3X a day: Kanchanar Guggulu (2 tablets), Arogyavardhini Vati (2 tablets), Yashad Bhasma (125 mg), and Gandhaka Rasayana (500 mg).
Kachanar Guggulu For Cancer
In addition to other medicines, this Ayurvedic tonic helps in treating cancer and its related symptoms.
Suggested Remedy: Take Kanchanar Guggulu (2 tablets), Hirak Bhasma (2.5 mg), Swarna Bhasma (40 mg), and Abhrak Bhasma 1000 Puti (40 mg).
Note: You can consume these tablets with warm water or Triphala water, twice a day as these are the most ideal adjuvants. That said, please consult your doctor to protect yourself from its side-effects and any unknown allergies you may have.
Kanchanar Guggulu’s Side-Effects & Precautionary Measures
Like any other Ayurvedic medicine, Kachanar Guggulu too should be consumed under expert help. It is best to consume this medicine orally. Plus, it is important to keep the following factors in mind:
- Pregnant or lactating women should avoid consuming it altogether.
- People with bleeding disorders should not consume it.
- People with hormone-sensitive conditions such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer should take special care when consuming this medicine and should, without fail, seek expert guidance.
- It is preferable that you stop consuming this medicine two weeks prior to any surgery you may be scheduled for.
Consuming this medicine in excess (over 6000 mg per day) can cause the following side effects:
- Stomach upset
- Loose stools
- Allergic reactions such as rash and itching.
- Non-allergy related skin rash and itching.