Ever heard of a healthy potion that nourishes from the inside while ensuring that the body is free of harmful toxins? That’s Gandhak Rasayan for you. Whether it’s skin-related fungal infections such as eczema or psoriasis you’re suffering from, or whether you wish to get on your hands on an anti-ageing potion, Gandhak Rasayan’s benefits are too many to list down. However, in this blog, we will attempt to do the same.
“Life is not merely to be alive, but to be well.” – Martial
Today, we are going to explore this all-powerful oushadhi (Ayurvedic medicine) and understand how you can use it to advance your health while tackling day-to-day health issues.
Gandhak actually refers to Sulphur, a non-metal which was used in ancient times during wars as it catches fire quite easily. It is due to this property that this medicine has a heating effect or garam taseer (hot potency) in the body – which isn’t ideal. The trick lies in its preparation. Gandhaka is first purified many times with clarified butter/ghee and then processed with pure cow milk. Additionally, it is mixed with a potent combination of Ayurvedic decoction and herbal juices to give us a super-powerful end-result.
Did You Know?
The most unique part of Gandhaka Rasayan’s preparation is that it is stirred for almost 8 days for at least 3-4 hours daily. As you can guess, any heating effect that this medicine may have originally gets converted into a soothing, cool one!
Gandhak Rasayan’s All-Powerful Ingredients
Note that the Rasayan can be bitter in taste if it does not have added sugar. The common yet most powerful ingredients in this Rasayan include:
- Shudha/Detoxified Sulphur (Primary Ingredient): 10 gm
- Chaturjat Decoction: This decoction comprises of four key ingredients:
- Nag Kesar (Mesua Ferrea)
- Dalchini (Cinnamon)
- Green Elaichi (Cardamom)
- Tej Patta (Malabar Leaf)
In addition to these ingredients, it also contains the following:
- Giloy decoction
- Amla decoction
- Vibhitaki decoction
- Haritaki decoction
- Ginger rhizome juice
- Bhringraj juice
- Sugar (optional)
Note that all the grinding turns the mixture into a fine paste which is then rolled into tablets or stored in the dry powder form.
Ayurvedic Preparation with Gandhak Rasayan as the Main Ingredient
It is used in the preparation of UVA Acnovin Capsule which works on numerous dermatological issues, enhances your skin’s health, and boosts its immunity. Plus it detoxifies the blood and removes toxins. The ideal dose for this is 1 capsule to be taken 2-3X a day.
Gandhak Rasayan’s Uses: At A Glance
Gandhak Rasayan, for all intents and purposes, acts as an effective herbal anti-biotic and offers the following medicinal properties:
- Broad-spectrum antibiotics
- Digestive booster
- Blood purifier
It helps to treat the following health issues:
- Gas-related problems
- Poor memory
- Sexual issues such as low sperm count, etc.
Gandhak Rasayan’s Health Benefits
Gandhak Rasayan poses a host of benefits such as treating chronic fever, diarrhoea, bleeding disorders, malabsorption syndrome, etc. while nourishing the system and enhancing your body’s strength and stamina. Some of its other noted benefits include:
Treating Hair Loss
Excessive hair loss, dandruff, premature greying, and scalp-related fungal infections are the most hair problems people face today. This is where Gandhak Rasayan for hair acts as a magic potion.
Preventing Skin Issues
Gandhak Rasayan’s benefits for skin are manifold. In addition to enhancing one’s skin complexion and boosting immunity, it boosts circulation and acts as a cure for the following:
A. Treating urticaria/hives/angioedema: Ideally, consume Gandhak Rasayan along with Jasad Bhasma and Haridra Khand to treat urticaria. In rare cases where the burning gets aggravated, you should add Praval Pishti, Giloy Satva, Mukta Sukti Pisti and Moti Pishti to counteract the burning sensation.
B. Itching and burning in the hands, feet, skin, tongue, etc.
E. Acne/pimples: Acting as a potent blood-purifying agent, Gandhaka Rasayan is often used with Mukta Sukti Pishti and Shankh Bhasma to treat acne and pimples.
F. Boils, scabies, and rashes: You can consume Gandhak Rasayan tablets and try a topical application of neem oil/neem leaves along with turmeric paste
Ridding The Body Of Toxins
Whether it’s respiratory issues such as upper respiratory tract infections or breathing problems due to an underlying bacterial infection in the lungs, this Rasayana helps to body to get rid of super-harmful toxins in the most healthy way possible.
Treating UTI/Vaginal Discharge
You’ll notice that most of the health issues that comprise of a burning sensation can be treated using Gandhak Rasayan. Similarly, UTI infections etc. can be treated as well.
Treating Dysmenorrhea / Spermatorrhea
Infertility issues in both men and women can be treated using this Ayurvedic kwath.
Curing Teeth & Gum Issues
Whether it’s pain and inflammation in the gums or pyorrhea, Gandhak Rasayan comes in handy.
Gandhak Rasayan’s Dosage & Consumption Best Practices:
Gandhak Rasayan typically comes in the tablet/powder forms. Here’s a low-down of its recommended dosage:
- As a supplementary dose: 125-250 mg
- As a therapeutic dose: 125-1,000 mg
- Safe dose: 1-2 tablets or 125-500 mg, to be taken twice daily or as directed by your physician.
- Maximum possible dose: Up to 2 gm
- You can consume it with water/milk/ghee after 1 hour of consuming food.
- You can also consume it with Khadirarishta or Manjishthadyarishta.
Important: Please seek expert advice before consuming this medicine to understand the recommended dosage based on your body type.
Did You Know?
Purified sulphur can be used to treat skin problems, both internally (yellow variety) as well as externally (white variety).
Gandhak Rasayan’s Side-Effects
Since Gandhak Rasayan’s primary ingredient is sulphur, consuming raw sulphur or consuming it in excess (more than 2 gm a day) can lead to the following side-effects:
- Stomach upset
- Abdominal cramps
- Loose stool
- Pregnant and lactating mothers should avoid consuming it in any form to be on the safe side.
- Obese, hypertensive, cardiac, and diabetic patients should consume this medicine under expert supervision only.
- When consuming Gandhaka, there are certain dietary restrictions as well: Avoid consuming excess alkaline and sour foods and foods rich in green, leafy vegetables and salt.
- Care should be taken to avoid Pitta-aggravating food habits and routines.
Important: Extreme care should be taken if you are preparing it at home. In fact, it is best to buy this Ayurvedic medicine online – whether it is in the tablet or decoction forms. Also, make sure you opt for a known brand and don’t experiment with unknown manufacturers to avoid any serious side-effects mentioned above.
Where Can You Buy It Online?
If you’re wondering about Gandhak Rasayan’s price, keep reading. There are multiple renowned brands that manufacture this Ayurvedic tablet:
- Gandhak Rasayan Vati/Bati: Comprising of shudh Gandhak, sonth (Dry Ginger), sendha namak (rock salt), neembu ras (citrus lemon), this vati is priced at INR 165. It comes in a pack of two and contains 40 tablets.
- Gandhak Rasayan Patanjali Divya: Priced at INR 49, it contains 1 piece of Gandhak Rasayan (50 gm). The recommended dose for this product is 1/2-1 gm, to be taken twice daily with milk or as directed by your Ayurvedic practitioner.
- Gandhak Rasayan Baidyanath: Conveniently priced at INR 74 only, this Ayurvedic medicine includes 40 tablets. Enjoy this 100% Ayurvedic medicine for a healthy and happy life.