Bakuchi / Babchi / Bavachi, also known as Psoralea Cordifolia is a plant used for ages in both Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine for the treatment of skin diseases such as psoriasis, leukoderma, skin rashes, skin infections and allergies. It is grown in the plane areas of India. The seeds are of this plant are flat, oblong, brownish and kidney-shaped with an unpleasant smell and pungent taste, and contain anti-inflammatory, aphrodisiac, anti-depressant, anti-bacterial, chemoprotective, stomachic, anti-hyperglycemic, astringent, cardiac tonic, stimulant, anthelmintic, cytotoxic, diuretic, anti-microbial, deobstruent and laxative properties.
Bakuchi is a vata and kapha pacifier and it aggravates pitta dosha.
Chemical Composition of Bakuchi
- Methyl 4-hydroxybenzoate
Uses and Benefits of Bakuchi
Bakuchi For Skin Disease and Skin Care
Bakuchi plant is especially useful for “kushtrog” which means Leprosy. It is also known as “Kushtanashini” which in Sanskrit means Leprosy Destroyer. The powder of Bakuchi seeds is used internally for leprosy and externally in the form of paste and ointment. It is also useful all other sorts of skin diseases like
- Leukoderma/Vitiligo (a disease where the patient loses skin colour in patches).
- Eczema with thickening dermis.
- Inflammatory conditions like Hidradenitis suppurativa.
- Rough and discoloured dermatosis, dermatosis with fissures
- Mucomembranous disorders
- Edematous (An accumulation of an excessive amount of watery fluid in cells, tissues, or body cavities) conditions of the skin.
- Boils and Skin Eruptions
- Itching red papules
It improves the colour of skin and complexion. Babchi oil promote pigmentation and support the stimulation of melanin pigments in the skin structure.
Bakuchi For Dental Problems and Gum Diseases
Babchi is an excellent remedy for dental problems like tooth decay, pain and pyuria. It is also helpful in stopping tooth and bone decalcification.
How To Use? : Take the root of Bavachi and grind it with white Alum, and brush your teeth with it every day. Alum has antibacterial and antiseptic properties and it works as a helpful ingredient especially for making the gums stronger and for teeth whitening.
Alum used should have gone through the process known as “Kheel”. In this process, alum is heated in a pan, on low flame till it becomes completely white (not crystalline white), on both the sides. It this is not done, the alum can have side effects. You can do this yourself by the method as follows:
- Place the white alum block on a pan, and heat it on low to medium flame till it starts bubbling and then becomes completely white.
- Flip it using a spatula and repeat step 1
- Now transfer into a mortar and grind it finely.
- Use it as a tooth powder.
Bakuchi As An Air Purifier
Bakuchi is one of the important ingredients of “havan” which is a ritual wherein offerings are made into the consecrated fire. The smoke produced, cleans the surrounding air due to the anti-bacterial properties of Bakuchi and accompanying herbs.
How to Use?: If you don’t do havan, you can use bavachi, Chandan and guggul powder to smoke your house and surrounding area for clean the pollutants, bacteria and virus in the environment.
Babchi For Respiratory Diseases
Babchi is also useful in respiratory disorders like cough, asthma, nephritis, dyspnoea, bronchitis and various other respiratory diseases.
Babchi For Cancer
Bakuchi seeds have anti-cancerous properties. It contains bavachinin, corylifolinin, and psoralen all of which inhibit the multiplication of osteosarcoma and lung cancer cells. It is also helpful in reliving tumours like Fibrosarcoma, malignant ascites, as well as leukaemia.
Bakuchi For Hair Problems
Bavachi is very helpful in regaining hair strength and lustre. It is a great hair tonic and hence used in the treatment of hair issues like hair loss, alopecia areata. It also improves hair colour and quality.
Babchi For Blood Purification
Bakuchi is a natural blood purifier. It detoxifies the blood by removing impurities. It boosts the immune system and helps prevent common ailments.
Bakuchi oil which is an essential oil derived from Bakuchi seeds works as an aphrodisiac and tonic.
Babchi improves body strength, vigour and vitality. It is also beneficial for improving the sharpness of mind, heart function, digestion and alleviating anorexia.
The fruits of babchi are used to cure piles, anaemia and other bleeding disorders. It is also useful in curing impotence, women menstruation disorders, and uterine haemorrhage.
It is advisable to use bakuchi only under medical supervision. It is best not to rely on research online and refer to an Ayurvedic practitioner for dosage and indications related information.
Babchi is generally used in combination with other herbs. Some of the great combinations are:
- Skin Disorders: Kutki + Neem + Manjishtha Sariva
- Urinary Disorders: Gokhru (Gokshura) + Haritaki (Harad)
- Cough: Ashwagandha root + Pippali
- Chronic Diarrhoea: Haritaki + Nutmeg
- Reproductive Disorders: Ashwagandha + Bala (Sida Cordifolia)
How to purify Bakuchi Seeds?
Bakuchi seeds should not be used without purification. If you purchase them from anywhere, make sure to purify or check if the purification process is already done. Follow the steps below for purification
- Take 100gm seeds and dip them in gomutra (1/2 litre) (cow urine) in a mud pot.
- Every third day, change the gomutra.
- Do this 7 to 10 times or for about a month.
- Take out the seeds and dry them in shade
- Clean the seeds by picking out the bad seeds.
- Make powder of the remaining ones and use by mixing it with other herbs as directed by a physician.
Bakuchi Side Effects
- Bakuchi can have drastic side effects if it used without the purification process. It may cause vomiting and nausea in some people. It can also have major side effects for kids.
- Bakuchi seeds should only be taken in medical guidance only, as it is a very strong medicine if consumed alone and in the wrong dosage. It should only be taken in a mixture of other herbs with the advice of an Ayurvedic practitioner.
- Since it is strong medicine, if the bavachi powder is directly applied to skin especially for people with sensitive skin, it can cause blisters to some people so, in case of skin diseases, it should not be used regularly. By mixing the babchi powder with coconut oil and camphor and applying on the skin, the blisters can be pacified.
- Excess use of Babchi oil on the skin can cause skin discolouration.
- The seed powder of bakuchi is not prescribed for people with liver diseases as some reports showed people developing hepatitis. Reference : (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4127755/)