There is no one who hasn’t suffered from throat infections. Although common, these infections can really make one suffer if not treated on time. The treasure trove of Ayurveda contains many amazing herbal formulations that can be used to manage these infections in day to day life. But first lets find out why throat infection happens? Sore throat and cough generally starts with an allergic reaction due to bacterial or viral attack. Most of the time it can be detected in beginning with symptoms like itchy throat and slight pain in the throat with difficulty swallowing.
Ayurveda recommends using easy methods like gargling, and drinking hot and soothing teas made from common herbs found at anyone’s home to manage these early symptoms. I will explain how to do this, and later on will give a list of medications which one can use along with these remedies.
Gargle Every 3 To 4 Hours With Tulsi And Turmeric Water
This is the best method to take out the phlegm collected in the throat and nasal passage so breathing pathway can be cleared. It helps reduce kapha in throat.
- Take 1.5 glasses of water and boil a couple of tulsi leaves in it.
- Strain the water and add a pinch of turmeric powder in it.
- Use this water to gargle and make sure not to cool the water too much. The water needs to be as hot as you can tolerate.
Tulsi acts as a mucolytic which breaks the phlegm. It is also an adaptogen which relieves stress in the throat. Turmeric relieves inflammation.
Alternatively, you can use methi seeds water for gargling.
- Soak 1tsp of Methi (Methika) seeds overnight.
- Boil this cold decoction in the morning (also add a little extra water). Boil till it is reduced to half.
- Use this water for gargling.
Ginger works wonders for sore throat. It is an analgesic (relives pain) and an expectorant which helps in taking out the phlegm. It also increases circulation around the throat and calms irritation. It contains a compound called gingerol which is excellent anti inflammatory agent and helps reduce swelling and itchiness of throat. You can use it in multiple ways, whichever you feel comforting.
- Burned Ginger:
- Take an inch piece of ginger and burn it on top a gas stove. Just burn it a little bit till it looks semi cooked (don’t make it completely black!).
- Take a pinch of rock salt in a bowl and dip the piece of ginger in it. Take small bites and consume the whole piece. Do not drink water afterwards for about half an hour.
- You can simply make a ginger tea and drink it as and when your throat feels irritated.
- To prepare this tea, grate a small piece of ginger in a glass of water.
- Add 10 pudina leaves and few lemongrass sticks in it. You can skin lemongrass if it’s not available.
- Boil on medium heat. Reduce it to half the quantity.
- Filter it and drink the tea hot. You can also add a pinch of black pepper powder to increase the effectiveness.
- If you would like to add honey for taste, use the next remedy. Honey should not be mixed with any hot liquid.. like never ever!
- Take half a spoon of dry ginger powder or sonth (sunthi) and add ½ tsp of honey to it. Mix well and consume. You can also take out juice of ginger (pick a raw one so that the juice extraction becomes easier). Mix the juice with honey and then lick slowly. Don’t drink water afterwards for some time.
Use Licorice (Mulethi / Yastimadhu)
Mulethi is also one great herb which you can use to clear the throat.
- Take 1 tbsp of Licorice roots and add them to 2 cups of water
- Boil on medium heat till it reduced to half.
- Drink hot.
If you do not get Licorice, you can also use Giloy root instead. It can be both dry or fresh ones, both work good regardless.
Now that you know some common remedies that you can do at home, I will give you my top picks on some classical ayurvedic medicines that you can find in the market which are good for throat infections.
Best Ayurvedic Medicines For Throat Infections
Sitopaladi churna is a classical medicine of Ayurveda used for treating cough and cold, respiratory diseases like asthma, bronchitis, tuberculosis and digestive disorders. It has antitussive and anti-inflammatory properties and also works as an expectorant and calms the irritated throat. Its ingredients include
How to consume?
In a bowl, take about 1tsp of sitopaladi churna and mix it with equal amount of pure honey. Mix properly till a smooth paste is made. Lick it as and when your throat feels irritated and stuffy. Do not consume water afterwards for some time.
You can get it on amazon
Vasarishta is an excellent classical medicine for all respiratory disorders. The main ingredient of the medicine is Indian Malabar nut or Vasaka which is an amazing remedy for all sorts of respiratory disorders like cough, cold, asthma, bronchitis and allergic rhinitis. It is also anti inflammatory in nature and great for joints, bones and back ache.
How to consume?
12-24 ml one or twice a day after meals.
You can get it on Amazon
Khadiradi Gutika is an effective medicine for the treatment of respiratory disorders. Ayurvedic practitioners prescribe it for cough, cold, asthma and bronchitis. It is specially effective for cough with excess mucus production.
It is a combination of about 20 ingredients, the main one being Khadira (Acacia Catehu or Heart wood).
How to consume?
1-2 tablets, 2 to 3 times a day or as directed by the physician.
You can purchase it on amazon
Note: If you are suffering from mild throat irritation, you can just have kanth sudharak vati. You can have them any time you want, not more than 2 tabs at a stretch.
Did you find this post useful? Would you like to get back to it later? Save THIS PIN below to your Pinterest Natural Living or Health or Herbs board!