Snow Mountain Garlic, also known as Kashmiri Lahsun or Himalayan Garlic or Ek Pothi Lahsun is a specific variety of garlic found in the Himalayan region. It is much smaller in size compared to the commercial garlic consumed in everyday life. In Ayurveda, it is a highly revered medicine and considered very effective alone for many ailments including Lung Cancer, Diabetes and Asthma. According to modern research, it is found to be seven times more potent than commercial garlic.
Growing Conditions – How it is grown?
Snow Mountain Garlic is grown as well as native to the Kashmir region of India. It’s grown in 1800 meters above sea levels in high altitudes, in an extremely dry and snowy area with very little oxygen availability. Himalayan garlic is considered one of the purest varieties of garlic as it grown in lack of industrial pollutants in the soil.
Benefits of Snow Mountain Garlic / Himalayan Garlic
Snow Mountain Garlic is considered to have antimicrobial, antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. It contains a compound named allicin, which gives the garlic a pungent smell. This compound has antioxidant and antibacterial properties. Himalayan Garlic is also rich in Copper, Selenium, Phosphorous, Manganese, Sulphur, Vitamin B6, B1 and C, Calcium. Here are a few most important benefits of including it in your diet.
- Kashmiri Lehsun is excellent for heart diseases. It strengthens the cardiovascular system and cures heart troubles. It helps maintains the hearts normal functions. Cholesterol is considered one of the main reason for many heart diseases. Snow mountain garlic reduces the possibility of coronary diseases by reducing cholesterol levels. It reduces LDL Cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood. It prevents the formation of the blood clot and lowers blood thickness and density which lowers the possibility of strokes and heart blockage. It is also used as a blood thinning agent.
- It reduces systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Hydrogen Sulphide found in garlic relaxes the muscles and limits the blood pressure in a healthy range. It is especially beneficial for Hypertension (HBP).
- It is best used as a medicine for cancer treatment. It stops the multiplication of cancer cells and reduces the possibility of Cancer from developing. It is useful in curing Pancreas, Colon, Prostate, Lung and Stomach Cancer. Only 3 to 4 cloves of garlic a day, if consumed on a regular basis, can help fight lung diseases and cancer.
- It is also beneficial in reducing diabetes. It controls and reduces the blood sugar levels. Allicin when combined with Vitamin B thiamine triggers the pancreas to make insulin.
- It cures common cough, cold and flu easily. Regular consumption of Kashmiri Lehsun in winter reduces the chances of mucus formation and inflammation around the throat. It is also a good remedy for patients suffering from respiratory disorders like asthma and bronchitis.
- It rejuvenates the brain and helps cure brain tumours. Research shows that the sulphur content of Himalayan Garlic combats Glioblastoma which is a kind of a brain tumor.
- It increases immunity. It can be used as a regular immunity boosting supplement.
- It helps reduce digestive disorders like acid reflux and indigestion but only as a preventive medicine. If you suffer from chronic acidity, gastritis, and heartburn, it is not recommended to consume Himalayan Garlic.
- It also regulates and improves bowel movement. It is also helpful in relieving constipation.
- Due to its anti biotic and antifungal properties, it is also used to cure skin eruptions like acne.
- It is considered excellent in maintaining liver health. It also helps in fighting liver-related diseases like typhoid and jaundice.
- It is also a favorable medicine for intestinal ailments like Ascaris, Cholera.
How To Eat – Method Of Consumption?
The most beneficial ingredient of snow mountain garlic is allicin compound. This compound is destroyed when we cook the garlic. To get the medicinal benefits of garlic you need to peel the garlic with your hands (no metal usage like the knife), crush the garlic clove lightly with hand and wooden/stone mortar (Do not use metal as it destroys the medicinal properties), and then leave it for 10 to 15 minutes. If you don’t want to crush the garlic, you can just chew it. Consume 2 cloves in the morning on empty stomach for most problems. Drink 1 glass of warm water after consuming the garlic.
Snow Mountain Garlic Side Effects
There are no known side effects of consuming Snow Mountain Garlic when consumed in moderation. Medical advice should always be taken on the quantity for consumption. A healthy person can take up to 2 cloves every day to boost immunity and as a preventive medicine for many ailments, but more than that is not advisable as it has a blood thinning effect which can lead to other health problems.
Since garlic of any kind is a stimulant to the nervous system and is considered warm in nature, it is advisable to not consume it during hot summers.
Purchasing Availability – Where To Buy?
Snow Mountain Garlic might be hard to find in local stores but is very easily available online. I have added a few links below to both for India and other countries.
USA and UK: